In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Black gum aka Tupelo is my enemy

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jrider, Oct 18, 2020.

1. jrider

jrider

So not only does black gum absolutely suck to split but it gets moldy easily. I’ve been throwing split pieces in windrow piles for close to 25 years and have never encountered mold until this year. Every moldy piece is black gum and some of it was only 2 feet down from the top which is about 8 feet high. I won’t sell it but it won’t go to waste as I will burn it in my fireplace but it’s aggravating. Will probably have close to a cord of it. The oak pile next to it didn’t have any mold. Yep, black gum is my enemy.

Attached Files:

2. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Yuck! Every black gum I drop lays to rot on floor of the woods.

3. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I unwittingly "scored" some Black Gum in the summer that had been on the ground for a few months. One of my mystery wood highway scrounges. After splitting it I saw it was already getting full of black mold inside. That stuff smelled pretty ripe in the heat of July too, yuck! I still have a small pile of splits that'll probably go in the outdoor pit when I'm burning brush or something. I'm not too keen on sitting by an ambiance fire with that nastiness smoldering away in front of me.

4. Chud

Chud

Agreed, Blackgum makes elm look good. I’ll never get it again, no matter how long and straight it is. Gum is evil in disguise.

5. jrider

jrider

I would too but this was dropped off by a tree service

6. thats on hellacious pile of wood kinda impressed i wonder how much harder/easier it is 2 split when compared to sweet gum

7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Any gum is one of just a few species I will not being onto my property. It’s just not worth the hassle. Willow and elm are two others.

8. jrider

jrider

It’s worse than sweet gum

9. dang that really stanks even though i kinda get ticked off when tryin to splitt sweet gum i still burn it when i have the chance

farmer steve likes this.
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Dont feel bad Joe, its my enemy too, along with sycamore and elm. Wont touch em with a ten foot axe. It was a dry Summer too!

11. mr.finn

mr.finn

The only redeeming quality about tupelo is they have a nice fall color to them, that's it

Chud and jrider like this.
  12. jrider

jrider

Sycamore and elm are a dream compared to this crap. I thought I had lucked out this year when I ran the black gum through the 6way with relative ease. It’s getting the last laugh and there’s nothing I can do about it

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  13. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

And after all the hard work C/S/S, it burns like paper.

The Wood Wolverine likes this.