In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Binoculars?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by JackHammer, Mar 11, 2021.

1. JackHammer

JackHammer

Anyone have any recommendations for binoculars? I would use them for hunting primarily but likely not mountain goat hunting in Northern Canada. The ideal target would be 200 yards or less. I do wear glasses for distance if that matters. I am looking at 42X10, 50X10 or 50X12. I see a lot of 42s, but the 50s are a little less common. Are the 50s just too big for most people? I was thinking about a 42X12 but I didn't see a big selection. I am not super concerned with size or weight but maybe I should be?

2. farmer steve

farmer steve

I like my 10x50 luepolds. I have used them hard for 10 years or so and they need replaced. I also have 10x50 nikons but they are a bit heavier. I use them mostly for deer hunting. I'm not a fan of Bushnell. I also wear glasses and don't have to much of a problem.

3. huskihl

huskihl

10x42 Vortex

4. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I have Nikons , not sure what model they are though. They were a Christmas gift some time ago. Work fine for what I use them for.

5. B.Brown

B.Brown

I've got a set of 10x40 leupolds that are honestly 35 yrs old. Never failed me, But now use a set of 10 x40 Swavorski's that are in my humble opinion are one of the best on the market. The 10x40 vortex are worth looking at also

6. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

If you are carrying them, I'd stick with roof prism style(straight tube). If carrying in automobile and size/weight isn't an issue then porro prism (dog leg, crooked tube) style will be a little less expensive and serve you fine. You typically get what you pay for in optics. Spend as much as you can. Look at name brands such as Leupold, Vortec, Bushnell, Nikon, etc. The European brands like Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss are great but they are high dollar.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

7. blacktail

blacktail

I have a set of Nikon 8x42 trailblazers that I've been really happy with. I take them out all the time for hiking and walking the dog. In fact, I was watching whales through them tuesday. Nikon replaced my original pair free of charge around 8 years ago after water got inside them from hunting in a downpour.
    I like Nikon and Leupold for good glass without getting into crazy prices.

8. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Something to keep in mind. Nikon is out of the scope and binocular business, focusing on their camera lines now.

9. Rope

Rope

Have hunted in the east, if you are not coming west is you do not need the high end optics. However I would look for range finding binos. The 8x will give you a great field of view, that you may not need at 200 yards. Look for a pair that you can easily focus then you can take your glasses off. I personally use Leica 10x42 geovids HDB the are range finding and we’re $3,200. They are absolutely need out here, when I can judge a animal at 2-3 miles it determines if if make that push and can save that time and miles during hunting.

If you describe in detail how you use them you may get better suggestions. I would look at Leupolds, Vortex, or anyone that has the built in range finder if that is a concern. Like do you bow hunt and can you take a shot at a animal within your vision without needing to know your distance?

10. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Buy the absolute best one that you can possibly afford, that way you only cry once.
    I have a zeiss 10x40b and a compact Swarovski both over 20 years old.
    Don’t ever loan out good quality optics, it’s better and cheaper in the long to buy a cheap ($89) binocular for use by the person that is to much of a tightwad to have their own. That way you don’t have to find a place to hide the body when they use any old rag, t-shirt, or paper towels to clean the lenses on your good quality glass.

Softwood, Chaz, In the Pines and 3 others like this.
  11. Knothead

Knothead

I have owned the Vortex Viper 8x42 HD for the last two years and love them for my go to birdwatching binocular. But for hunting use I would consider the 10x42 or 10x50 if you have very steady hands. (Higher power causes images to become shakier)

[​IMG]

Chaz, In the Pines, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  12. huskihl

huskihl

Those are nice. Best bang for the buck binos on the market. They’re priced about half of what comparable glass is

13. Reloader

Reloader

Took pretty much a lifetime before I could afford Swarovski binoculars but I think they are a game changer no matter the distance.

Chaz, Knothead, In the Pines and 3 others like this.
  14. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Didnt need binoculars to see these 2. Right in the backyard.[​IMG][​IMG]

eatonpcat, Rope, huskihl and 2 others like this.
  15. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

x2
    I've had 3 pairs and bought several for gifts. All of my hunting buddies have them. Since the factory is 20 miles from me, I've had the opportunity to put my hands on most variations and give them a try in the showroom. Customer service is first class and no questions asked replacement. Go with Viper or step up if you want to spend a little more. If you call them, they will talk you through any questions and concerns.

Ronaldo, huskihl and Knothead like this.
  16. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I like the Nikon Monarch 5, 10x42 pair we have. The wife won them from our sportsman club raffle several years ago.

Ronaldo and Knothead like this.
  17. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

You do if you want to count the spots on em

Knothead and Ronaldo like this.
  18. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

19. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Those are volunteers from birdfeeder spillage. We let em grow and the goldfinches eat them as soon as they are ready.

eatonpcat and Knothead like this.
  20. RCBS

RCBS

I have only ever had one set that I used to use primarily for hunting. They are Steiners. Excellent clarity and great in low light. I find it pleasing to look through them. Just a compact model.

Sandhillbilly, Ronaldo and Knothead like this.