In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Big Easy pork shoulder

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by mattjm1017, Jan 5, 2014.

1. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

I cooked a 2.5lb pork shoulder in the big easy tonight my wife used one of them Mcormick spicy seasonings on it. This thing was good I put it in at 445 and pulled it at 630 at 182* I wanted to get it up to 200* but didnt have time as I was hungry. Only got the one pic of it in the cooker didnt have time to take any more. Next time I think Im going to try and use the springform ring in the bottom with some wood chips to get a smokey flavor. It had a nice crispy exterior and the inside was moist enough I wonder if a marinade or and injection would have made it better.

IMAG0451.jpg

swags, fishingpol and basod like this.
  2. basod

basod

Matt I did one the other night, pulled it at 165 and basted in BBQ sauce wrapped in foil than ran it to 195. I cooked it on the veggie basket halfway up the rack and came out awesome.
    The remote thermometer is sweet - highly recommend one

fishingpol and mattjm1017 like this.
  3. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

What remote thermo do you have? I have two thermometers the one that came with the BE and a digital one that my wife bought I dont really like either one. The BE one only goes up to 170* and the digital one has to be set for each different meat and once it reaches that temp it beeps incessantly. I want one that just reads the temps as a lot of the stuff I cook doesnt exactly fall into the USDA recommended temps.

4. basod

basod

I would have bought a higher end one but it's the thought that counts. She got me a Master Forge one that has the pre select stuff like you're talking about, but you can set your own temps if you read the last step in the manual.
    I forget the model but amazon has one that incorporates 2 probes for smokers so you know cooking surface temp and meat temp for reloads - should have steered her there as I'm paying for it either way

mattjm1017 likes this.
  5. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Trying this out today, getting ready for the big Patriots game tonight.

Here is the tommy-ring, modified so that I can get the lid on, with the small Boston butt all rubbed and hung by skewers. I'm using pellets in foil instead of wood chips, cause that's all I've got right now.
    image.jpg

6. SmokinJay

SmokinJay

Pork shoulder I will pull out at 185 throw it in a cooler for about an hour. Should top out on heat about 192 degrees.

7. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Came out great, took it up to 180 and then an hour or so in a 250* oven wrapped in foil. Could have used more smoke, will get some chips for next time. The pellets only smoked if the burner was wide open, had a couple flame outs when less than wide open, was pretty windy but I don't think it likes less than wide open, did get quite a bit of burnt ends, but I like em, would probably take it off a bit sooner next time. Will try again with a bigger cut.

8. basod

basod

Either way I'm sure it tasted sweet with that dominating win.
    Nice modified Tommy ring, maybe I'll notch the pan I cut so I can use the veggie basket with the lid.
    The original "Tommy" has elbows tapped through the stainless liner for airflow to the chips, I may try this as access to fittings is easy around work - if they don't work I can add Swagelok plugs to stop the flow

mattjm1017 likes this.