In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Best way to post signs on my trees

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by dgeesaman, Oct 26, 2017.

1. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

What's the best way to attach them to the trees without adding damaging metal to them? I know nails and screws will get sucked in over time and destroy saw chains.

My property's back line is against a large cornfield with a mowed perimeter. We regularly see people trespass onto the cornfield and more than once they've come onto our property too. There is a treeline with mature oaks, chestnuts, and hickory where we will post them.

These trees will eventually be useful as firewood. A few of the oaks are 100y+ and getting close.

I'd make separate signposts but the ground back there is mostly rocky from being at the edge of a field.

2. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

I Use long staples/staple gun.
    Alot of the durability when doing this seems to be species/bark dependent.

Signs still get ripped taken etc.
    When I put them up I leave room for growth dunno of it matters.

Sadly the signs won't stop 98% of people. All it does is give us the option of prosecution IE a ticket.

3. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

You could try a peg and hole system. Wooden pegs.

Horkn, brenndatomu and Mitch Newton like this.
  4. Stinny

Stinny

Stainless steel T-50 staple gun... half inch staples...

Horkn likes this.
  5. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

About the staples - I failed to mention we bought aluminum signs this time around. We used staples on the waterproof paper ones, which made it about two years.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Tie it on the tree with plastic baler twine?

7. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

If it works, I will. I have barrels full of the stuff.

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  8. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Want to hear something screwed up!

So my wife and I just bought a big chunk of land, the land borders a huge tract of timber company land who traditionally don't restrict public access to their land. At the closing I was talking about posting the land, to which my lawyer says "careful"! Turns out in Maine anyway, if you own large tracts of land and you don't post it, thereby "allowing" access, if someone comes onto your land and does something stupid/illegal you can in no way be held liable, but the minute you post your land restricting access you can under some circumstances be held accountable for other people's actions on your land even though they are the ones breaking the law by coming on to your land.:loco: :crazy:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  9. bocefus78

bocefus78

Rebar or a t post and a post driver. Rocks or not, there's no way I'm sinking anything into a big nice tree I plan on harvesting.

Some states allow spraypaint marks on trees to legally serve as property boundry markers also, so look into that also.

Edit to add: you can also tie lumber scraps around tree and then screw sign to the scrap. Drill holes thru scrap. Run rope thru hole and around tree. Screw sign up. Paint red around sign for additional visibility.

Also, use metal signs. They aren't cheap but they last much longer. Plastic fades and gets brittle after a few years.

10. lukem

lukem

Another vote for tieing them on. Leave a little slack in the line and put a single staple to fasten the cord to the tree directly behind the sign on the back side of the tree...should be good for a LONG time.

My dad's neighbor is a welder/fabricator....he lined his entire 100+ acres about every 50 yards with stainless steel posts, set in concrete, with his last named cut out (on a plasma table) in 1/4" thick steel flags. Those will be there FOREVER.

Elvisss222, papadave, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I don't know that I'd ever bother to post my property. People don't care if it's not their's. They think they have a right trespass or tear down the signs. Or ride their machines where ever they please, signs or not...

It's really easy to figure out...once you step over "your" property line...your trespassing!
    Sign or not! You will be treated as a trespasser.

12. MikeyB

MikeyB

How about a few tie raps?

Horkn likes this.
  13. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

When I shoot someone's unleased/untrained dog, I'd rather do it from behind well posted, highly visible signs.

14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Ummm...
    Dogs don't tear down signs...or know what a property line is...

Maybe a tall fence would better suite your needs

15. bert the turtle

bert the turtle

How about aluminum nails? Will do a lot less damage to a chain than would a steel nail.

If you tie the sign on you will have to maintain it. Either because the string breaks from sun exposure or it doesn’t break and it girdles the tree if you don’t adjust it.

If you nail it and leave some nail exposed, it will last a good while. If you want to do maintainence, you can pull the nail out a little as the tree grows, at least until the tree gets too strong a grip in the nail.

RCBS and brenndatomu like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Good idea!
    Copper nails would work too...there is an old wives tale that copper nails kill trees, but according to my research, there is only a grain of truth to that...if you drive a TON of copper nails into a tree is seems it would, or could kill it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  17. chris

chris

Bass ackwards- typical gov and courts - seen this with forced entry ( in other words breaking and entering) perpetrator got cut up on the window he broke and sued the property owner- and the courts gave it to him. makes no sense at all to me. Must be something in the water or air on the that causes this.

Horkn and TurboDiesel like this.
  18. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

The problem is Maine has VERY little public land in proportion to its size, YET it is affectionately known as the vacationland and a Sportmen's paradise for much of the rest of New England. So in order to promote free access to private land (which is the vast majority of the state) they took away an excuse all of us landowners would have of putting up No Trespassing signs...LIABILITY.

To further ensure free access was given, they added the part about those that do post no trespassing signs, that they forfeit that benefit.

Even in bordering New Hampshire this is not really required because so much of the State is tied up in the White Mountain National Forest where there is ample opportunity for public access.

There has always been talk about Maine allowing Sunday hunting, and it is true we lose a lot of money banning hunting on Sunday, BUT as I told a hunter one time, if Maine ever allows Sunday hunting, there will be a lot of hunting in Maine...the hunters hunting for a piece of land to hunt....mine included. I got a whole list of things I want to do tomorrow when I know it will be safe to be out in the woods and my activities won't mess up the hunters that hunt on me.

19. M2theB

M2theB

I consider this same thing. No hunting on Sunday in MA either and for the short deer shotgun season, I try to lay low on Saturdays, unless I'm hunting also.
    Wife and I only hike to the back corner on Sundays between now and January 1, when deer season ends, (black powder).

CleanFire and TurboDiesel like this.
  20. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Aluminum nails or stainless staples.

RCBS likes this.