In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Beer Can Chicken

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by MikeyB, Mar 6, 2019.

1. MikeyB

MikeyB

I’m looking to tackle my first beer can chicken on my fire pit this weekend (weather permitting)
    Looking for some of your recipes , types of chicken, what beer, rub, tricks of the trade, etc,etc.
    Appreciate any feed back guys.

Thor likes this.
  2. BCB

BCB

I always use a cheap canned beer for the bird and drink 1-2 good beers while it's cooking lol.

The best beer can chicken I've ever made was done on a camp fire with just salt and pepper. I took 2 roasting pans and some foil and enclosed the chicken inside of it. I dumped half the beer inside the bottom roasting pan and the other half still in the can went into the chicken cavity. I did this back in 2001 so I don't remember how long it cooked for. I didn't even have a thermometer lol. When the juices ran clear I took it out of the pan to crisp up the skin on the open fire.

Its been almost 20 years and it still gets mentioned when talking about past camping trips.

Good luck!

MO. Wood, Chvymn99, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  3. MikeyB

MikeyB

Weather was perfect today. Picked up a 4 1/4 lb whole chicken and gave it a try. Took me over 3 hours to get to good internal temps. Chicken was awesome.

Attached Files:

Chaz, eatonpcat, MO. Wood and 4 others like this.
  4. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I love beer can chicken. Favorite rub is Willinghams, but McCormick's is good in a pinch too. I usually cut the top off the can, then pour half the beer out into my mouth. Then, I put some garlic, onion, and more rub in the can, then violate the bird with it.

Chaz likes this.
  5. MikeyB

MikeyB

That’s similar to what I did, put some butter, fresh garlic, And some salt/pepper/garlic/onion powder in the beer and heated it up on the stove before sitting the bird on top of the can.
    Also heated up some butter and garlic on the stove then rubbed it on the breasts under the skin.

Chaz, MO. Wood and Mwalsh9152 like this.