In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bar tip question

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Eckie, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Eckie

Eckie

What would make a bar tip get hot like this? Was cutting green red maple when it happened. Whats that small hole for? Don't think my other bars have it...is it for grease?

2. mat60

mat60

Im no expert but the hole is for grease. Is your bar and chain getting oil and is your chain adjusted properly?

3. Chud

Chud

I’ve only had an issue with an 084 scorching sprockets on a 30” and 36” bar. The hole is for grease, but I never grease the sprocket. I may hit it with wd if it’s caked up or not rolling freely.

4. Eckie

Eckie

Yeah, tension was good and it seemed to be throwing oil fine. I.just noticed that little hole when I took the pic, like insaid dont remember there being one on all my other bars/previous bars. But they've always been stihl or oregon, this is a raptor. Didnt know if i should squirt some wd 40, or try to shove some grease in there

T.Jeff Veal, amateur cutter and mat60 like this.
  5. mat60

mat60

As Chud said make sure your sprocket it rolling freely.

6. Horkn

Horkn

You should grease the bar tip.

7. fuelrod

fuelrod

I just greased the 3 saws I used today.
    I'll do it every time I blow it out and service the air filter. This may equate to monthly???

Sinngetreu, M2theB, mat60 and 2 others like this.
  8. Eckie

Eckie

Do yall grease all bar tips, or just ones with that little hole?

9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Take the chain off and feel the tip sprocket for nice smooth action. If it’s real loose, might be time for a new tip if it’s replaceable. Too tight, grease it real good and try to work it free. I grease all my bar tips on a pretty routine basis. Usually hit the clutch drum bearing too.

M2theB, mat60, T.Jeff Veal and 2 others like this.
  10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Only if it has a hole for grease to be pumped into.

M2theB, mat60, T.Jeff Veal and 3 others like this.
  11. Eckie

Eckie

Ok, that's what I was figuring...I've never greased a bar tip, of course I could have been doing it wrong. I checked it today, it spun fine in one direction, had a little catch in the other. It's a new bar, not even one truck load cut with it. Guess that's what I get for being cheap....

I cut on a hickory today. Chain on the 460 started making me work too much. Was going to use the 310 that has this new bar, but it didnt feel right (bar and chain) so kept working with the 460. Was in a hurry so didn't pull out the dremel styled battery hookup sharpener. Then thought why dont you just swap the chain off the 310. The bar came with a chain, so i put that on the 460. Im not sure what make that chain is, but i dont think ive ever cut with such a chain, even the stihls and oregons ive had never cut like that. It wasnt fresh, it had cut that bit of maple. But that thing cut that hickory like it was butter. It was a bit grabby, pulling me into the log at first. But man oh man, that was awesome cutting

mat60, T.Jeff Veal and Horkn like this.
  12. Horkn

Horkn

Post pics of the chains in question. There's big differences in chain aggressiveness.

Also, you can get those awesome 2in 1 hand files and they simply rock! No electricity needed, but a small vice and a sharpie sure help.

mat60 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  13. Eckie

Eckie

Horkn, not sure I know what you mean by 2 in 1 hand file... I used to hand file a bit, but never thought I was very good. When i got the dremel like thing that hooks to the truck battery, it helped keep a better edge, and was quicker than by hand. Usually i use a chain, file it with the tool as long as i can keep it decent. Eventually I will take it off and replace with a grinder sharpened (local shop) chain, rinse and repeat. Take a batch of chains at a time to the shop to get them back to a good edge.

Ill have to take pic of that chain and post. Maybe it felt so good cause it'd been a while since I've used a new chain, but i think its more than that, like aggressive teeth/grind

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    mat60 and Horkn like this.
  14. Horkn

Horkn

One of these..2-in-1 file holder - Flat file and depth gauge tool

Pferd makes them too. We've been using the pferd ones and they are the same as the Stihl as far as we can tell. It sounds like pferd actually makes the stihl brand for them.
    Sharpening files - CHAIN SHARP - CHAIN SHARP CS-X chain saw sharpeners - POP packaging - 1/8'' CHAIN SHARP CSX w/ Round and Flat Files | PFERD Tools

mat60 likes this.
  15. Eckie

Eckie

Oh wow, never seen one of those. That would be handy, I'm not good at filing depth gauges either (as in remembering to do it). Bout how much do they cost? Perhaps that can go on the Christmas list...

Horkn likes this.
  16. Horkn

Horkn

The pferd is like $35. The stihl a bit more. They are the bomb. It takes the variables out of sharpening and gets it all aligned. I'll sharpen a chain many times before taking it to my guy to sharpen the chain

17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My local shop sells the Stihl for 35

Eckie and Horkn like this.
  18. Eckie

Eckie

Does it work for all grinds? Chisel, semi etc?

Horkn likes this.
  19. Horkn

Horkn

When my buddy bought his 3, (different sizes) I swear I found the pferd for $20-25. Pferd is local here, so there's possibly a local discount. I just remember that I found a great deal on them and my buddy went and bought them locally

20. Horkn

Horkn

Not square grind, but semi and full chisel. And you need to buy a tool for each chain of different pitch. What chain (s) is it for?