In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

AXE handles

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by rusty ranger 44, Mar 11, 2021.

1. rusty ranger 44

rusty ranger 44

Hello All - I'm looking for a new project.Is there anyone out there making their own axe and maul handles, if so what kind of wood are you using.I thought that I would start by tracing a pattern of one of my axes onto a 2" slab of ash or hickory. There so many styles of axe heads and handles that it is hard to decide which one may be the best for me. Let me know what works best for you and why.

walt likes this.
  2. walt

walt

Can't go wrong with hickory, have used red oak and white oak a time or two. Salvaged beech from rafters of an old house to make a couple peavy handles.

Mag Craft, Eric Wanderweg and mat60 like this.
  3. mat60

mat60

I think allot of baseball bats are made from ash. I would think it would be fine for a axe handle exc.

Mag Craft, Eric Wanderweg and walt like this.
  4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I've made a hand saw handle from apple wood, and a hatchet handle from a very old piece of black locust. A liberal amount of boiled linseed oil periodically and it really makes the colors in the grain pop.
    Black Locust Handle
    Apple Wood Replacement Saw Handle

JackHammer, mat60 and walt like this.
  5. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I have not made any ax handles from scratch, but I have modified a few. I also save all of my old broken ax and maul handles, because they can be repurposed as other handles for smaller items, sometimes. One thing I like to do is cut sections out of old broken ax and maul handles, drill a small hole in the end of a section and use it as a file handle. Works pretty good. I even used one piece to drive onto my stove poker to make a better handle to get a hold on. Lots of uses for them.

mat60, Mag Craft and walt like this.
  6. Rothk

Rothk

From what I hear hickory is better at absorbing shock than any other wood. I don't make my own handles but I always go with hickory when I buy replacements.

7. rusty ranger 44

rusty ranger 44

agreed to the many uses for the broken handles. I started to use golf balls as file handles, they seem to fit my hand better. Give them a try.

Lastmohecken and walt like this.
  8. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Yep, I seen someone using golf balls on youtube. I don't play golf, so I don't have any to try out. I wish I had a few old ones, to try it. Maybe I will buy a couple at Wal-mart or somewhere and give it a try.

9. JackHammer

JackHammer

What type of bit are you going to be using? All the bits have a more-or-less standard pattern. Single, double, maul and/or maybe a sledge.
    Single bit axes typically have curvature in the handle and everything else is typically straight. But, you can always customize to your liking.
    I guess you could say I made a handle. I took an angle grinder flap pad to a piece of red oak and jammed a single bit on top. It is pretty rough but I do really like using that axe. It is a slightly short straight handle single bit.
    If I break or wear out a handle, I cut it off at the break and make a shorter thing. I have a short 8lb hammer that I love. I also have a maul with a curved hammer, that I also love.
    Hickory is typically the wood that is used for handles but you can use what ever you like. I would recommend working with harder woods for better durability.