In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Axe eye maul equal less shock than sledge eye?

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by JW IN VA, Dec 17, 2019.

1. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

I posted about breaking an almost new sledge eye maul handle earlier.
    I'm using my new Council Tool 8lb with an axe eye which I had been saving back until I got more BLO and turpentine mix in the handle. So far,it's great.
    One thing I seemed to notice was,as well as feeling more balanced,there doesn't seem to be as much shock transmitted back to my hands and wrists as I felt with the sledge eye.Is this my imagination or not.Seems the thicker handle should absorb more. By balanced I also mean this maul doesn't seem as"head heavy".Both are 8lb models.I cant remember what the sledge eye was.Had a yellow handle originally and has a raised "stripe" on the sides.Probably bought at TSC or farm coop.

Boogeyman and Midwinter like this.
  2. coreboy83

coreboy83

I've used a 6 pound Axe Eye straight handle for near 20 cords. (It was my wife's grandfather's). We have a splitter now, so it only comes out for fun. I love that thing. I agree with the balance and shock value. Very fun and gratifying to swing.

JW IN VA likes this.
  3. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

I have a 3pt hitch mounted Kelly splitter for the tractor. My son and I both feel that,for us, we'd rather swing a maul.If the ground is right and the wood needs to be split more than once we feel we can make better time with the maul.Also,with big rounds,they are too heavy to lift up there and try to balance so must be split to start with.
    Ours is a different case from some.We don't have to split the less than 8 inch rounds since both of us use an OWB. Both 6'plus and around 300(or better).At 62,though,I'm starting to feel those strikes a little more.May have to get used to the idea of a vertical splitter.Even if it is slow.:)

Boogeyman likes this.