In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

ATV Battery

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by lukem, Jan 21, 2021.

1. lukem

lukem

The ETX14 on my 2008 Honda isn't getting the job done anymore. As far as I can tell it is the original battery. I've had the machine for about 10 years and have never replaced it.

Was surprised at how expensive those little things are...and prices range from $35 to $85.

Is there much difference in longevity with different batteries or are they pretty much a commodity item? I don't mind spending $70 once over $35 twice if that's what will actually happen.

mat60, Horkn and Screwloose like this.
  2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I ended up having two new batteries this year when the new Gel battery went bad, it was under warranty for replacement only. I ended up getting a battery made by Interstate and that is in the Rhino with a battery tender on it.

This is the thread I started.
    Rhino 450

Our original battery lasted 12 or 13 years and died on one of the highest hills we have on July fourth about three years ago ( a guess) so we went into Advance Auto (only place open) bought the battery that was for the Rhino, that thing didn't last two years before it had a bad cell.

3. unbidden

unbidden

Which ever battery you choose, take a good look at the terminals; be sure the hook-up is he same as the battery you have now. Often the "cheapo" stuff has different terminals. Cheap becomes expensive if you have to change the cables.

4. System

System

Luke, I'd go with an AGM for your replacement. Deka made by East Penn has a great product and they are easily sourced on Amazon. There are some cheap Chinese units that will cross over too but if it were my money, it would go to Deka.

5. huskihl

huskihl

Best I’ve used was a Motobatt AGM. They’re typically more money, and I’m not certain if there’s another equivalent product for less money. Believe I got about 6 years out of it, as opposed to a year or 2 for the normal ones that you fill yourself upon installation

mat60 and Screwloose like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Agree...AGM. I've not had the best luck with Deka however...may have been a fluke, dunno.
    Also agree with avoiding the cheap chinees battery's...that's just false economy.

mat60, Horkn, Slocum and 1 other person like this.
  7. System

System

An Energizer AGM equivalent is also on Amazon. I'm not sure who makes them though.

mat60 and Screwloose like this.
  8. Screwloose

Screwloose

I need a new battery for my miller Trailblazer and I was looking at the Optima agm's.
    Anyone have any opinions on those?
    Or a better alternative?

mat60 likes this.
  9. System

System

Optima were a big hit a decade plus ago as they were early on the AGM scene. They have lost their luster though and really don't perform as well as their competition. In my truck I run Odyssey batteries and they are pretty much the top of the automotive category right now. DieHard Platinum used to be a private label Odyssey but they were discontinued.

Screwloose and mat60 like this.
  10. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

What is AGM ???

Screwloose and mat60 like this.
  11. System

System

Screwloose, mat60 and brenndatomu like this.
  12. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Buy a good battery and not some import el-cheepo.
    I bought a cheap battery for my splitter and less than a year it was done. I even had the battery tender on it every month for a couple days to keep it maintained and it still didn't last.

grandgourmand and mat60 like this.
  13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I just put one of these in my Ducati beginning of last year. A friend has had one for 4 years and it just started getting weak on him. I personally consider 4 years a win with any battery. Not saying they won't/can't last longer. My current truck battery was bought in 2014, and its a WalMart EverStart. I've had super good luck with those in car/truck and mowers.
    [​IMG]

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

We had two "super hero" batteries at work that had to be replaced in the last couple years...one was 13 years old (F350) one was 15 YO (F550) both OEM Motorcraft batteries (now that's a win!) and no doubt about their ages, because Motorcraft batteries that come off the assembly line look a bit different than the Motorcraft replacement batteries do, so the parts counter guy said no doubt about their age.
    The 15 YO battery was still working fine, guys came in for lunch and when they went to leave the battery just exploded when he hit the key. :startled:

15. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, get an AGM. Also use a tender, but if you're getting 10+ years out of a lead acid battery you pretty much have to be using a battery tender.

brenndatomu and mat60 like this.
  16. lukem

lukem

I put the charger on yesterday and it is working again, not sure for how long though. I'll try to squeeze a little more time out of it, but now I have some leads on what to get. Thanks for the replies.

Horkn, brenndatomu and mat60 like this.
  17. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

ditto.......I tried a Deka once and it load tested out worse than the one I wanted to replace it with.

I stick with Yuasa for all powersports batteries, never had any issues with them. Still have the OEM Yuasa in my ATV and it's going on 7 years old. When I do replace it, it will be with a Yuasa GYZ series.

AGM Battery Comparison Chart - Absorbent Glass Mat Battery | Yuasa

18. System

System

I'm surprised you guys had an issue with Deka as it hasn't been my experience but I understand not wanting to get burned a second time. I agree that Yuasa are good stuff too. I've run them in a lot of powersports equipment and have never had an issue there either. Another thing that's good about them is despite their name sounding Asian, they are another Made in the USA brand out of PA.

19. huskihl

huskihl

Yet mine lasted 1.5 years in a new 99 f350. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to continuous quality with some things

Horkn likes this.
  20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Pretty typical IME...we rarely had people complain about Yuasa batteries at the shop (other than the price for a new one :rofl: :lol:)

The Wood Wolverine and Horkn like this.