In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

AS on the way....

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Eckie, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Eckie

Eckie

Well, my (our) AS should be getting on a truck this afternoon and heading to VA!

Brewer Farms, mat60, Eric VW and 11 others like this.
  2. snaple4

snaple4

Awesome! So far I love my IS and I haven’t even had a good fire in it. What style, options, accessories, colors did you get?

Eric VW, Slocum, Hoytman and 6 others like this.
  3. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

That's awesome Eckie congrats man! That's my dream someday to get one, they are beautiful!

Eric VW, Slocum, Hoytman and 6 others like this.
  4. Eckie

Eckie

We got stove in charcoal, wildwood design in black, right side door, ash pan kit, side, rear and pipe heat shield.

I'm behind the ball on where I wanted to be in terms of ready for it. This summer had been a bizotch. I'm sure I will be posting in here looking for helpful advice and recommendations....

Eric VW, Slocum, Hoytman and 7 others like this.
  5. Eckie

Eckie

6. moresnow

moresnow

A most proper way of unloading. :salute: What model of green machine is it? Enjoy the new stove. Looking forward to the install and initial burns if you document it.

7. Eckie

Eckie

It's a 5525. It will be a bit before I can get it in, set it in the garage for now. Didn't get my mess ready, and then Rona didn't help. We've got a big family trip planned for early november, lot of other stuff before we go,, it will probably be after that. But I'll try to remember to take pics and document the chaos.

8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

That is nice. Y'all will be warm with that. Might even have to open the windows...

9. Eckie

Eckie

Yeah, it'll definitely be big enough. Probably gonna have to run it part time, not full loads with "lesser" woods....

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

67EDAE03-3882-4CD1-976C-16B5EC97263A.jpeg If your AS is like my IS you will be amazed with it low N slow ability :yes:

JD also

barns1, Eric VW, Hoytman and 5 others like this.
  11. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Possible derail here but tell me about that JD 5525. How long have you had it? Buy it new? How do you like it? What do you mainly do with it? Thanks!

Eric VW and Backwoods Savage like this.
  12. Eckie

Eckie

We went in half with the inlaws on it. Needed a 4wd tractor, especially for feeding in winter. We both have cattle, so feed and cut/bale hay with it, as well as all kind of random around the farm work with bucket etc. We bought it used from a tractor/equipment dealer.

I like it. The other cabbed tractor we have is a smaller 2wd jd, can't remember the number right now. The 4 wheel drive has the auto leveling front end, which makes feeding a pain when I try to roll out a bale by pointing spear straight down (the auto leveling won't let the spear point straight down when it's at the "height" I need), unlike the 2wd. Other than that it's done well. Does like to drink the diesel though. We'd have been up chit creek the last couple years as wet as winters been trying to feed with a 2wd....

13. moresnow

moresnow

I wonder if a dealer could bypass/disable the auto level?

14. Eckie

Eckie

Maybe..? I asked the fil it it could be turned off, said not to his knowledge. Haven't asked a "professional"....

15. Flamestead

Flamestead

I think JD has a mechanical auto leveling system, so likely difficult to disable. Dumping a bale off the spear at an angle usually results in more excitement than I need (bale travels forward, pushes the feeder, ends up on its side and then its hard to remove twine, …).
    Congrats on the stove! I ended up selling the one I had listed for $1500 to my wife’s boss.

16. Eckie

Eckie

If the ground is fairly dry, I will sometimes roll out the hay. On the smaller 2wd tractor, I can point the spear straight down and just push it along, easier if it's a decently tight bale..if not I can work the spear to help unroll. With the 4wd's leveling system, it will not point straight down, so I have to "try" to put the spear tip right at the bottom of the bale (due to the angle) and (hopefully) walk it.

The wife's boss got a h3ll of a deal! If I were closer it would have been mine!

17. Eckie

Eckie

Old stove has 8 inch pipe up to the T going into chimney, so I need to get some 6 inch. Is single walled interior stove pipe all the same? As in is a piece from tractor supply or Lowes just as good as ordering from a stove supply place? Anything special I should look for or avoid?

I need to measure the height of chimney from T to top, in case that leads to any suggestions from yall. But I have 2 90's...the one in the T and the other above the stove.... Should I try to replace the one 90 with 2 45's, if room (distance-placement of stove) allows?

20211116_125539.jpg

18. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

I can’t speak to the single wall, but the double wall I bought from Menards 7 odd years ago has held up. Very well. I’d say your fine getting it wherever you can find it.

19. Eckie

Eckie

Only reason I asked about single is because I've seen it said that helps give heat to the room as well, and that double is best for outside...? Perhaps I misunderstood part or all of that, or didn't get the concept correct.

I am being 100% honest when I say I'm pretty much ignorant on what is the right or best way to do this. So everyone feel free to let me know, don't assume I know. But don't be surprised if I ask a question on the how or why of something...

Eric VW, Hoytman and Chvymn99 like this.
  20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah IMO all single wall is pretty much cheap junk...will last for a few years, then need replaced...less so if not in the basement, like my furnace setup is...buy doublewall though...the inner layer is stainless and will last you a long time...and yes to the (2) 45*s...if you have the room for it...unless you have a real tall 6" lined/insulated chimney, then it may not matter much...

Eric VW, Hoytman, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.