In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Are there really only two Swedish axe makers?

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by WESF, May 1, 2021.

1. WESF

WESF

Looking at Swedish axes, it seems like for all of the brands there may only be two major business entities.

1) Gransfors Bruk bought Wetterlings and went for the high end of the global market a few years ago. They now use Wetterlings’ old infrastructure to produce and market their product.

2) Hults Bruk appears to either own or subcontract the rest, including Hultafors (own) and Husqvarna (subcontract).

Are the Swedes down to two real industrial-scale axe makers, or am I misunderstanding the situation?

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Mag Craft likes this.
  3. WESF

WESF

Any idea who actually made it? I'm guessing Hults Bruk, but that's only a guess.

Mag Craft and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  4. Meche_03

Meche_03

It appears you are right. Only 2 actual manufacturers. Husqvarna may have either one make axes. Probably different models made by different factor.

Mag Craft likes this.
  5. B.Brown

B.Brown

Watch out with those axes, they can be very habit forming. :DNot to mention they are also VERY SHARP, from the factory!:bug:

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

No, sorry.

7. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Yes hults brooks or hultfors (same company) make the husky axes.
    GB/Wetterlings

After that you’re left with some boutique/artisan types.

Mag Craft and WESF like this.
  8. Geoff C

Geoff C

I got a husqvarna as a gift. I was a little skeptical because if you look at reviews it kind of seems like where they stamp their logo causes some weakness in the steel. Pictures of heads splitting right at the logo.

No problems so far

Ronaldo likes this.
  9. WESF

WESF

Thanks for all the feedback.

Recently my X27 went home with my brother, and I was looking for a new splitting axe. I was thinking of something quite a bit lighter than my Gransfors Bruk maul, with a wooden handle. I ended up ordering a Hults Bruk Bjork splitting axe, mostly because I wanted to try the head shape and I liked the curved handle.

In practice, the Bjork is much more axe than splitter, as the head isn't very wide or heavy. It'll probably be great for the really easy rounds where every swing cracks off a split, but it's not going to be very efficient at trying to process nasty stuff. It's light and narrow enough to do some limbing and pound wedges.

[​IMG]

Fit and finish are certainly above any hardware store axe I've seen, but not on the level of GB. The handle showed up raw, with raised, rough grain. With a bit of sanding and some linseed oil, it now feels pretty nice.

The Bjork is certainly a nice axe, but I suspect it's not more popular because it's in a bit of a nomansland between Fiskers and GB.

Ronaldo likes this.