In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Apple wood

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Holland Dell, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

I want to start by saying I am not a smoker. Any friends of mine that smoke, use pellets. I have many mature apple trees that need severe pruning and some just need to come down or have been storm damaged in the past several weeks. I have been told some of these trees may be 50+ years old, but I can't verify this. My question is for smoking, can an apple tree be too old for quality apple wood smoke and what would be your suggestions for disposing of the wood other than my wood stove? I feel I have something of value, but don't have a clue what I should do with it. I understand punky wood is trash, but what about barkless or with bark. What's preferred please? Please understand, I am not into this for the money. However, I just don't feel good about it going to waste. Next on the list is cherry. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Apple is high btu firewood. But I would definitely save a bunch of the smaller stuff for the smoker. Good on pork

3. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Apple is a high btu wood and great smokewood also dries faster than oak. In my opinion its the best all around wood you can get. Save some barkless stuff for your smokerwood friends. Use the rest like you would oak.
    Cherry is a med range btu and also good smokewood. Personally not as desirable as apple but it sells better.

4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I'm in a similar boat. I have about 3/4 cord of apple wood at home that most will be ready to use as firewood for the 2021-2022 season. I also have a decent pile of dead and barkless limbs that came from the same tree, ready to burn now. From what I understand, barkless is preferable. I would hate to "waste" it all in the stove so I wanted to try some for cooking (I don't have a smoker) I was thinking about cooking my Thanksgiving turkey on a metal tripod over my outdoor pit using apple mixed with some black cherry I have as well. As for the rest, I was almost tempted to approach a couple local BBQ joints to see if they're interested. Heck, I'd even trade some wood for a gift card! I have enough regular firewood to where I don't really need or want to use the apple in the stove at home. Also, I gave some crotch pieces to a guy I know to use for wood turning. I don't know, for most people apple wood is hard to come by in quantity anyway.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I've processed more apple than just about anyone... Save as much of it as you can for smokin'. Best without bark or rot. Just split out the bad. The heartwood in the base works excellent on meats, as does the rest of the tree. I tried selling/exchanging at a local BBQ joint and he was concerned my wood would end up too dry when he needed it. After you process, cover it and put it in shade to slow down the drying process. If someone does want it for smoking, they won't want it fully dry (more than likely).

And to answer your question, no it's not going to be too old...