In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Apple tree is getting cut down this fall... Come and get it

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by corncob, Aug 21, 2022.

1. corncob

corncob

Going to cut down an older apple tree this fall. If anyone wants the wood to turn into charcoal or use a smoke flavoring, let me know. If not, it gets roasted on my burn pile.

Matter of fact it's the one in the background on my signature picture.

2. corncob

corncob

For everyone's information, I live 15 miles north of Toledo, Ohio right off US 23 and just west of Petersburg, Michigan

If anyone wants it, I can give you my exact location and phone number via a PM.

I'll cut it up into 3 foot lengths and all the branches too. least the bigger ones, the little ones will get roasted.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    eatonpcat likes this.
  3. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Wrong side of Ohio for me. Why couldn't you be 15 miles west of Youngstown.

NYH1 and eatonpcat like this.
  4. corncob

corncob

Born in Key West, raised in East Cleveland, met my wife there, she was a Federal Employee. She took a transfer to Michigan (Tank Command in Warren, Michigan so we moved up here and she bought the farm and I became a hired hand. Now you know the rest of the story....lol

moresnow, Eckie, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  5. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

East Cleveland! They've been trying to get Cleveland to annex it for years and even Cleveland won't take it.

Ron T, eatonpcat and brenndatomu like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

From Key West to East Cleveland is quite the fall from Grace!
    My wife lived in Adrian and Blissfield for a bit years back...should be nearby I'd guess.

Eckie, eatonpcat and Ohio dave like this.
  7. corncob

corncob

20 miles from Adrian and 10 from Blissfield actually.

I remember little about Key West other than the huge bugs. My dad was analytical chemist and took a job with the long gone Republic Steel so we moved to far East Cleveland then to the west side of Cleveland. Grew up there and stayed in the general area until about 30 years ago when my wife bought this farm so, I'm a city kid turned farmer and that ain't all bad. We live at the end of a dirt road with little humans around to disrupt the lifestyle I like. Had my fill of city life, much prefer being alone.

Not fond of Cleveland or any of the northern Ohio cities actually. Go back and visit regularly have lots of good friends there but after a few days, I long to be back at home out in the sticks. Call it flyover country and people out here operate on an entirely different set of rules than city people do. Out here, your word is everything and most business is done on a handshake. We don't lock our doors at night and the keys are in the tractors and usually the cars too. Much more relaxing way of life out here.

Don't believe I could ever live in an urban setting again. Too many people in too little space.

What really changed my opinion about urban life versus country life was, I bought a house in Columbia Station, Ohio, a somewhat suburban rural area. The house was on 15 acres of land and had about 10 acres of woods so naturally I heated with wood as there was all kinds of deadfall and storm damage to burn. That is where we (Amy and I) got tuned into the country life and we have ever changed from that.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    Sandhillbilly, Eckie and brenndatomu like this.
  8. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Back in college days I volunteered at Barnett's Farm in Columbia Station. Grew up in Lakewood OH. Loved it then, hate the traffic now that I live in Kent. Not that Kent is rural but compared to Lakewood its the sticks. I want to move to some acreage but misses doesn't want to. Really it would only be like 3-4miles away from here

brenndatomu likes this.
  9. corncob

corncob

I owned a home in Lakewood years ago. I've heard it's really went downhill. Don't get back that way very often anymore except to visit my dad's grave. He's buried in Westpark cemetery.

10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Depends how close you get to the east.

11. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

My sister stills lives on Clarence in Lakewood she loves it.

eatonpcat and brenndatomu like this.
  12. corncob

corncob

Well, my apple tree has turned into a lot more than just the apple tree. Wife decided we needed to have a few (large hardwood trees removed) so I'm working on a very large pile of saw logs, oak, apple, Mulberry and some locust too. Pile is right now about 10 feet high and 30 feet long, solid cut butts. Had a couple dead pines that are on the burn pile for roasting. Anyone want any come and get it. Amazing how high a High Ranger can reach... and I get dizzy on a stepladder. Bet I have about 30 ton piled up right now and the end is not in sight either.

FatBoy85, WinonaRail, Eckie and 2 others like this.
  13. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

If I had a dump trailer I'd take you up on the apple tree!

FatBoy85 likes this.