In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone own a Harman?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Cash Larue, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Hi friends!

Our old Quadrafire finally crapped out. I had been fighting with it for a couple of years. I’ve spent too much money trying to keep it running.

We just ordered an all black Harman P43 from our friendly little mountain stove shop. (It is the exact stove in the pic.) The shop owner says Harman is the “Cadillac of pellet stoves.” I had not heard of Harman until we went into the shop. The floor model was CRANKING out the heat. Does anyone own a Harman? If so, how do you like it? Any problems?
    33230373-3479-4808-8731-3ECD8439E656.jpeg

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

From what I've read here Harman is the cat's meow!

savemoney, mat60, imacman and 2 others like this.
  3. corncob

corncob

So long as you maintain them properly, they are all good. Harmans as well. I bet you'll wait a long time for it, I hear the factory is backed up a couple months unless the dealer has one in stock.

savemoney, mat60 and Cash Larue like this.
  4. bogieb

bogieb

Love both my Harmans. I have a P43 heating my main floor and a P61a in the basement. Easy to maintain and they aren't picky on pellets. I clean them every 2-3 weeks because I usually run middling pellets which are more ashy than the premium pellets. But for my circumstances, middling pellets are the best value - unless of course I find good deals on premiums on CL/FBM during the off season.

Only thing I've had to do is replace a gasket on the P61a and replace combustion and distribution motors on the P43. The P43 was bought used, so who knows how it was treated before I got it (or maybe it sat for a while). I got it for a fantastic price over new, so no complaint there. Both stoves are run off an external thermostat most of the time. But during really cold weather I do go to stove temp mode and let them chug along for a steady stream of warm air.

mat60, imacman, Cash Larue and 3 others like this.
  5. Rich250

Rich250

Love my Allure 50, on it's 4th year running 24/7 during heating season and no problems so far, scrape the burn pot as needed, fill with pellets every other day, full cleaning at each ton. I even blow out my exhaust vent from inside the house through the stove so I don't have to go out in the cold and do it.:thumbs:

6. corncob

corncob

Like I've said before and will say again, they are (for the most part) all good, so long as you take care of them and clean out the accumulated ash. I do prefer a unit with no Thermisitor (or in the case of a Harman, the ESP).

Interestingly, every used unit I've purchased and refurbished and resold, they were all ill maintained. Some worse (much worse) and some better but all of them were neglected.

Contrary to what people assume, none of them are plug and play, well lets say plug and play until they get real dirty and then the issues start. Guess that is why there are bio mass stove technicians who charge accordingly.

Me, because I'm inherently cheap, I do all my own work.

savemoney, mat60 and highland_hunter like this.
  7. highland_hunter

highland_hunter

We've had a Harman Accentra, example pic attached, in our 1600ish sq ft raised ranch for about 8 years. It resides in the lower level where the temps are around 75* the upper level maintains the 72* and the bedroom end of the upper level around 67* with a bit lower when we have sub zero temps.

Last year I had to replace the distribution blower and the thermometer, which I think this was more an issue I created than any defects. The stove runs on automatic from mid/late October until late March to early April dependent on when winter releases its grip on us here in the northeast. We burn 3 - 4 tons of pellets a year depending on the length of the heating season.

Overall we are very happy with it's reliability and performance. I would not go with the brown finish as it chips far too easily, but you know what they say about a happy wife. ;)

Attached Files:

8. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

These are wonderful stoves!

I'm a dealer- they are out roughly 8 weeks.

Those Allures are very nice! What color panels did you go with? That tinted glass door that runs the entire front is a nice upgrade!

A simple and elegant stove with a small footprint. I dunno why Harman discontinued them. Hopefully they'll come back!

savemoney, mat60, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  9. badbob

badbob

You ran a Quad,of which most are great quality, for some years and never heard of Harman,wow. The still are high quality stoves,with a good burn system. A P series Harman is the easiest stove to clean and maintain. It will also function when neglected, just less heat comes out. I am a fan of the older "knob and switch" controls, because of all the many features it brings, but I see they have worked out all the kinks of their new digital system, and people love them. Quality of pellets are not an issue, they will burn any, just will have more ash and use more pellets. Almost any stove tech or stove shop will service and repair a Harman, unlike the majority of stoves out there. You will love it.

savemoney, mat60, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  10. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

The stove is supposed to be delivered March 1st. Fingers crossed…

mat60, Well Seasoned, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  11. imacman

imacman

Make sure to keep us updated when it arrives...the install & such. And as always, we love pics!!

schoondog, mat60, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  12. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

I’ll definitely post pics when it’s installed!

Rich250, mat60, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  13. corncob

corncob

Wasn't sure what the lead time was currently. I had heard a couple months. The dealer that keeps bugging me to come work for him is a Harman dealer as well. Actually, multi line. His primary business is industrial overhead door installs and service actually. Got a huge showroom loaded with stuff I cannot afford, including coal stoves which is something I actually prefer and would have if rice coal was more readily available here.

Just don't want to work on them if I don't have to, besides, I have little patience with stupidity. Refurbing them and selling them myself is ok because it's my time with no boss except my dog mostly.

mat60 and bogieb like this.
  14. corncob

corncob

Interesting comment in as much as both of mine will as well. The only difference I can see between a good pellet and a bad one is ash buildup frequency, but that is a non issue running a corn-pellet mix anyway because corn produces 4 times the ash of even a crappy pellet.

savemoney and mat60 like this.
  15. scajjr2

scajjr2

Into our 9th heating season with our P43. Have done nothing to it but a good cleaning every month in all that time, still factory original everything. Works great.

sam

Rich250, mat60, bogieb and 5 others like this.
  16. corncob

corncob

There is an ancient Bixby on FB marketplace and the guy is asking an ungodly sum for it. Not made anymore, hasn't been made for years and parts are almost non-existent. I guess he thinks he has a silk purse. In reality it's a sow's ear.

17. corncob

corncob

9 years old is still new. When you hit 20 like my 6039 is, then report back.... In reality, there is nothing to wear out except mechanical components that can be renewed. I've only seen one unit with a cracked firebox and that was from over firing and the high limit didn't shut it down, Fixed that one with my wire welder.

18. bogieb

bogieb

Well, my former Hastings would technically burn any pellet (and corn mix), but whenever I changed brands, I had to mess with the draft and dialing it in could take hours (and trying to turn a tiny screw at the air intake 1/8-1/4 turn each adjustment was no fun either). I finally used strictly FSUs from a BBB just so I didn't have to Eff with it. With the Harman's, the stoves take care of setting the mixture right. Worst thing that can happen is if I get some long pellets then I have to adjust the feed rate to get the size fire I want, but that takes 2 seconds.

schoondog, Rich250, mat60 and 5 others like this.
  19. corncob

corncob

Very easy to adjust all the firing rates and draft on the 6039's and other compatible USSC units with the 4 button control board and the tech manual. Just a matter of adjusting the algorithms, no screws to turn, shutters to set or any fiddling around except your index finger.

bogieb and mat60 like this.
  20. Tullytown

Tullytown

8 yrs ago my spouse wanted same finish. I said it will chip too easy..she caved and let me get the all iron P61A.. 8yrs of 24/ 7 burning with the harman. I am not a big fan of the newer touchscreen types but many people buy them duecto latest technology.. all good i guess but more stuff to go wrong or buggy. Your screen tells u you are low on pellets so 1st thing u do? Open the hopper!! Well gee.. we do that anyways .. love all the new technology but know my tried and true Harman P61A and if had too buy new stove would go with the same dial type i have..my 2 cents.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022