In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone keep chimfex handy?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Sirchopsalot, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

So I kinda remember my dad have one of these handy by his wood stove.
    Not that I know a lot.of wood burners in person, but I havent seen these in anyone's home.
    Has anyone here stashed some, or used one?
    (They're kinda spendy, lowest i saw was $12 or so online).
    Sca

20210119_135131.jpg

2. fishingpol

fishingpol

$12 is cheap compared to having to replace Class A or worse.

Jack Straw, Eckie, M2theB and 3 others like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

It's probably a good idea, but if you burn low MC wood, you won't get much, if any creosote. Clean the flue regularly and that ensures it doesn't build up.

I do have a special fire extinguisher that my dad gave me that would put out a chimney fire, if it ever were to occur.

From burning low MC wood and and regular chimney cleaning, I don't see that I'll ever need that extinguisher.

MikeInMa, Jack Straw, Eckie and 6 others like this.
  4. Warner

Warner

My stove is in the basement,I keep a 50 gallon drum of water down there to flush the toilet durning power outages. The are also a couple old towels down there. My plan if there ever was a chimney fire is to soak the towels and throw them in the stove. The steam should put the fire out. I have not tested this method tho.

MikeInMa, Jack Straw, M2theB and 4 others like this.
  5. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I picked one up back in the summer (after seeing someone on this forum had one) and keep it in the same room as the stove, alongside the fire extinguisher. The hope is I'll never need to use either. I get on my roof every year and clean my stack but for the money I think the Chimfex is cheap insurance. More than that it gives my wife that warm fuzzy feeling of extra safety which is also a good thing.

MikeInMa, Jack Straw, Eckie and 6 others like this.
  6. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Chaz has picked up a couple also.

7. In the Pines

In the Pines

was it here someone said their volunteer fire dept, carries bags of baking soda to dump into chimney's?
    I think they said baking soda?

8. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Im not sure what the FD uses...other than water. Depends on the case. But if these get the fire backed down, or out in less time than the vfd gets here, its worth it.

I can always clewn or replace the liner if need.be.

Ye have low MC wood (starts easily/burns hot/little to no smoke), but its.nice to have a couple handy, along with 2 fire extinguishers behind doors off that room. One day I plan to run a hose bib to the kitchen, where the stove is. we'd have to catch it way early to make a difference, but if we're close by and catch it soon enough.....

These were a little hard to find...was wonderimg if we were the only ones. Aparently not!!

Sca

Jack Straw, M2theB and Horkn like this.
  9. Baldhornet

Baldhornet

Same here...

Jack Straw, M2theB and Horkn like this.
  10. Chris F

Chris F

I have a pail of water near my wood furnace with an empty margarine container floating on top, not so much for a chimney fire, but in case the power goes out and the fire is going good.
    I don't want the floor above the furnace to catch fire since the blower can't take away the heat.
    I imagine it would also be good for a chimney fire.

11. Eckie

Eckie

Yes, someone on here said that. Don't know who or in what thread, but definitely on fhc.

In the Pines likes this.
  12. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I have one but I forgot about it until I read this! :doh:

In the Pines likes this.
  13. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

I have one, but haven't had to use it yet ....

14. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Tonight i watched a.couple hours of videos regarding chimney fires. In all cases save one, firefighters used water to extinguish the fire. In smaller fires, they used a metal hook to.dislodge creosote and had someone collecting it as it fell out. Larger conflagrations took water.

In ome case someone across the water used a chimfire thingy (looked like chimfex), and was pushing it as a firefighter safety...like they wouldnt have to climb on roofs if this was used and was sucessful.

There are a few good vids on testing chimfex or the similar.

Cheap insurance for the time we are home and something goes sideways.

Sca

15. RIburn

RIburn

Had a chimney fire several years back. FD used no water - I had snuffed out the air prior to their arrival and they pulled the wood to fully stop the burn. Proceeded to drop chain/hook down the flue - the chief was on the receiving end shoveling out the clean-out. Since then (and before the new ss liner went in) I have had a Chimfex with the papers and kindling. I always thought they'd (FD) avoided water (avoid cracking the flue) unless things were already too far along and the fire was jeopardizing the rest of the house but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps someone here in the industry/serves could give a better answer on that.