In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone have more info on the Woodstock Survival Stove?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by williaty, Nov 28, 2017.

1. williaty

williaty

I just got RSS article from Woodstock about something called the Survival Stove that they say has been beta tested a bit. I figure there's a fighting chance one or more of those beta testers is a FHC member. If you've had one, what do you think of it?

2. Unhdsm

Unhdsm

The press release said “internal beta testers” so it may have been just WS staff.
    I was up there this morning and I’ve never seen so much work activity going on. Busy busy.

3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

BrianK might be the closest one as he Beta Tested his WS and took out his old one which was a WS too. Every time I hear about these stoves, it’s something worth waiting for later on in life. With success, they’ll hopefully have great stoves in the line later on(not that they don’t now but maybe something I will have to see about in person).

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. BrianK

BrianK

I’m out of the loop these days. My brother TurboDiesel is running my Ideal Steel because I moved and don’t have a place for it. I haven’t talked to anyone from Woodstock in quite a while.

Backwoods Savage and FatBoy85 like this.
  5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I got nuthing. Sorry

6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Good to confirm, only curiosity.

7. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

This just in!

Just got this a few minutes ago

Woodstock Soapstone Co.
    Meet the New Survival Stove

[​IMG]
    Survival Stove - The Lodge
    For the last 14 months, we’ve been working vigorously to develop a small hybrid wood and coal stove for the Navajo Nation - a stove that is clean, efficient and inexpensive. The development of that stove is finished, and we’ll begin shipping Navajo Stoves to the Navajo reservation in late December/early January.

Now we want to introduce the related Survival Stove - a small hybrid wood stove which we will also begin shipping at the end of this year. This stove shares the same wood combustion technology as the Navajo Stove and is designed to heat about 1,000 sq. ft., with a hybrid combustion system that is 79.43% efficient, has average emissions of 1.05 gm/hr and produces 15,332-27,294 BTU/hr under the current EPA test protocols.

[​IMG]
    Survival Stove - The Orchard
    The Survival Stove has been a big hit with our internal beta testers. The firebox is small (1.15 cu ft) but the stove puts out a lot of heat. It’s very clean and very efficient. It doesn’t take up too much space - the hearth pad for this stove is just 32” wide x 40” deep. Clearances are just 9” from the corners, sides and back to combustible walls. Height is adjustable. Each stove comes with an ash pan and all close-clearance shields. We have also designed three tools (poker, ash rake, and shovel) that hang from the side shield.

Specifications and prices to follow in the next few days!
    [​IMG]
    You are subscribed to email updates from Woodstock Soapstone Co. Blog.
    To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. Email delivery powered by Google
    Google, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States

brenndatomu, Horkn, Bags and 3 others like this.
  8. fishingpol

fishingpol

I've always wanted to see them produce a smaller front loading cat stove that would be able to fit in a fireplace opening. I wonder if any beta testers have placed it in a fireplace and how to access the cat. I'll be following this one and I'm curious of the burn time. The adjustable legs is a plus for lintel height concerns. Looking forward to the dimensions.

9. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Here is their email news letter

Hello,
    [​IMG]

Two quick news items:

1. Our Fall Sale ends this Friday, December 1st. Click here to check sale prices. Remember that you can reserve a stove on line, 24 hours/day.

2. We have a pleasant surprise heading into December: another new wood stove! The Survival Stove is a small hybrid wood stove that is an offshoot of our development of the Navajo Hybrid (which burns wood and coal). It is sized to heat just 1,000 sq. ft., and boasts 79.4% efficiency and just 1.05 gm/hr emissions. We'll release complete specifications and prices over the next few days. You can follow the introduction on our blog.(Spoiler alert - this will be the lowest priced high-performance wood stove in the USA)

[​IMG]
    More news to follow very shortly!

All the best,

Tom Morrissey
    Woodstock Soapstone Co., Inc.
    www.woodstove.com
    1-800-866-4344

P.S. If you have visited our website recently, you probably noticed a modest amount of disarray. We use a web-hosting company (a US Company), and we have a dedicated server at the hosting company. To make a long story short, the dedicated server at the hosting company crashed, and even though they had billed us to install and maintain backups, and we had paid them for the same, they hadn't done it.

Our site rebuilding is almost done, and the good news to come out of this episode is that we found a university student to help us rebuild who is the fastest, most talented web developer we have ever used. So we plan to not just rebuild but improve our site over the coming months!

Bags, Backwoods Savage and FatBoy85 like this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

They did have several stoves out for testing and all in the Navajo nation.

BrianK likes this.
  11. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

that might be the perfect fit for my basement room stove. Small enough hearth requirement that I can have a front loader.

12. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth

I’m still waiting to see what this stove is all about, along with pricing. I haven’t seen any updates on their site. Anyone heard any news?

13. Beet Stix

Beet Stix

Bags, FatBoy85 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  14. williaty

williaty

Both the price and the weight seem a lot nicer than my Ideal Steel. I'll be very interested to get reports from people who get these stoves to see if maybe someday down the line I want to switch. I actually really like the IS but there's a HUGE portion of the year where it's just too much heat and we don't run it because we can't keep the house cool enough with it.

15. bushpilot

bushpilot

Sounds interesting, but they make some ugly stoves! Sorry to those who love them, but I prefer the steel box look of my NC-30.

16. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

The IS is ugly!
    but it's a very impressive heating machine for the money!

17. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Introducing the Survival Stove!

Posted: 21 Dec 2017 12:43 PM PST

Dear Friends,

Hello and Holiday Greetings from all of us at Woodstock Soapstone Company! We are approaching our 40th year of making the highest quality wood and gas burning stoves, and are now proud to be debuting our newest hybrid that adds a “little spark” to our already stellar line-up.

The new year will begin with a “BANG!” as we begin shipping both the NAVAJO Hybrid (wood & coal burning) and SURVIVAL Hybrid (wood burning only). The NAVAJO Hybrid will be shipping to the 4 Corners Navajo Nation as part of our commitment to helping everyone be warmer and burn fuel more efficiently. The SURVIVAL Hybrid will be available to the general public mid-January, and fulfills requests from our customers for a smaller stove that can hold its own with our other top quality legacy and hybrid models.
    [​IMG]
    Click on Image to Enlarge
    These little powerhouses are perfect for heating spaces of 1,000 s.f., and have an output of 27,294 BTU’s/hr (EPA Protocol), with an efficiency rating of 79.43%, and emissions of 1.05gm/hr. These combined efficiency and emissions results place the SURVIVAL Hybrid firmly in the TOP 10 stoves currently sold in the USA...and we make them right here in the beautiful state of New Hampshire.

We will be posting lots of information in the coming weeks, but if you want a jump on delivery you can reserve a stove by clicking here and have your stove shipped in January. Remember, we have real “elves” answering the phone and are always determined to provide the best-of-the-best in service and support. We love our customers and we love wood heat! Thank you for your continuing interest. We look forward to hearing from you!

To Reserve a Survival Hybrid Wood Stove, click here!

1-800-866-4344 - Monday thru Saturday, 9:00-5:00, 40 Years and Counting!

[​IMG]
    To Reserve a Survival Hybrid Wood Stove, click here!

[​IMG]
    Here’s a way to really spread some goodwill this holiday season!
    Get NAVAJO Artwork on your SURVIVAL Stove for an extra $100 ($1399.00). The entire premium ($100 per stove) will be sent to a Navajo Charity 501 (c)3 specializing in home improvement and weatherization.

If you want to purchase a SURVIVAL Stove, and you like the Navajo artwork, the extra money that you pay for the Navajo Artwork will go directly to efforts on the Navajo Reservation to improve living conditions for native people. The Navajo Artwork is pictured below.

[​IMG]

18. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

They actually look a lot better in person.

TurboDiesel likes this.
  19. bushpilot

bushpilot

I hope so :confused:

FatBoy85 likes this.
  20. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I would feel that the stove appearance would be less appealing for its heat makes up in that. The dimensions of the stove and clearances make this really good to squeeze it into a spot that’s slightly more than a small end table...
    less hearth requirements. Etc. Small homes can really benefit from this. Decoration notwithstanding.