In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone have any experience with Blazeking? got this

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by trooney, Dec 7, 2017.

1. trooney

trooney

Hi everybody, new around here. Was turned onto this site by my friend Wood Wolverine. I've got this pellet stive insert that I plan on replaceing with a wood insert. Was looking at Blazeking mostly for their burn times. Says they can burn on low for about 20 hours. Seing as I work 12 hour shifts and am away from home for about 16, thats right up my alley. The wife is away for about 9 hours, but sometimes has things to do after work. Interested to see what people think of them. Also heard I'll have to put a liner all the way up the chimney if I exchange inserts. Right now its got a 5 foot pipe that goes through the flue. Anyway, thanks in advance....

FatBoy85, milleo and huskihl like this.
  2. swags

swags Moderator

Had a blaze king for many years. I love mine, it’s a really good heater and can burn for a long time. I have the princess, and depending on the time of year reload 1-2 tines a day. This time of year when it really cold we reload twice and push it harder. When you need only low heat its amazing though and they can burn for a really long time.

You will need a new liner, likely a 6” unless your getting the king model.

They are a little getting used to with the cat system but you will really like it.

One more note, BK’s are picky about dry firewood

3. huskihl

huskihl

Hi Tom :salute:

trooney, FatBoy85 and swags like this.
  4. Redfin

Redfin

Howdy Tom. Chuck, which you may have met at the gtgs runs one. He loves it. showrguy

5. Blazing

Blazing

I have a BK princess insert. Answer a few questions yes it will burn 20+ hours on low and yes you need at least 15 foot of 6 inch liner. Depending on the square footage of your house and insulation low might not be enough though. Also if you do choose BK I strongly recommend an insulated liner for optimal draft. As other stated wood needs to be 20% or under.

6. Highbeam

Highbeam

There is no king insert. All are 6” flue models now.

I sure do like my bk princess.

trooney and swags like this.
  7. trooney

trooney

Hi Kevin!! :)

Hey John. Yeah I know him. Yeah I'm leaning that way.

huskihl likes this.
  8. trooney

trooney

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I got about 1500 sq. feet and if I can help out my heat pump when temps get really low its a win for me. We keep our thermostat at 67 so if it heats the house above that on low it is definately a win.

concretegrazer, huskihl and swags like this.
  9. Highbeam

Highbeam

So what you do then is just run it on low when you’re gone and every log it burns is just that much less you’re paying for the heat pump to run. On low it will easily make it for 16 hours so when you get home you can just top it off for the night and reload again before you leave for work.

Maybe your heat pump will never run.

I would prefer a freestander over an insert but if you need an insert than the princess is your only choice for a long burner.

Blazing and trooney like this.
  10. trooney

trooney

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. They also make 2 more inserts without the catalytic, that have about the same burn times, supposedly, as the princess. They do heat less area but cost only $200 less. They handle bigger logs, but that aint no big deal. I'm leaning towards the Princess.

swags likes this.
  11. Highbeam

Highbeam

If not for the cat and stat, the bk line is nothing special. Lots of noncat inserts that are better than the bk noncat. I wouldn’t expect long burn times out of any of them though. Overnight is about it.

Princess is special. Woodstock doesn’t have inserts.

trooney likes this.
  12. Blazing

Blazing

I'm also heating about 1500 square feet 1970's ranch. Last night my glass was dirty so I loaded up two splits of white oak and left it on full blast till they turned to coal. Not real cold yet but hey we all like pictures lol. 20171210_205530.jpg

p61 western, trooney and Ronaldo like this.
  13. Blazing

Blazing

Forgot to mention that was without running the fan... I might have passed out if I turned that on.

p61 western and trooney like this.
  14. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

This is from a couple of nights ago...I always crank my King to high when I head upstairs to out the kids down for the night...it's usually around 78 after I shower and head back down for beerverages and TV; that night I had loaded with Mulberry and cranked 'we up. Oops!

[​IMG]

Blazing and p61 western like this.
  15. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

Their two other inserts are new models. The Sirocco 25 & Ashford 25. Both are catalytic with a slightly smaller capacity than the princess & have lower emissions.

16. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

17. jdonna

jdonna

I'm getting 12,16 and 24 hour burns with my princess in a very drafty old farm house.

papadave, milleo and trooney like this.
  18. trooney

trooney

How often do you have to empty the ash pan? New to woodstoves. Got a wood furnace in my basement but that has got a 8 hr burn time max. Got to empty the ash pan 1 time a day. Does the burn times correspond to the settings?

19. trooney

trooney

I thought they had non catalytic in their description of them...might be wrong though...wouldnt be the first time!!

concretegrazer likes this.
  20. trooney

trooney

Lower emission mean less ash?