In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

any of you guys have experience planting american beech

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by patrick kozlowski, Dec 14, 2020.

1. i was just wonderin if anybody here has planted an american beech tree and if ya would have any tips for it because i just bought some online ..... they prob should be here by feb/march timeframe that is on top of the 3 more pure american chestnuts that i got coming and the 2 black locust i intend to plant

2. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

We transplanted one in my grandparents yard that was dug up off the root system of another tree. Nothing special as far as planting.

Keep in mind that beech trees do not have a dominent leader/stem. If planted in the open they grow like a bush, not a single stalk tree. They also sprout from their root system like a bad weed. They can be a PITA as a yard tree.

Other thing is the beach bark disease. If its not in your area it will be.

patrick kozlowski likes this.
  3. so far it seems like the beeches in my area are pretty healthy . and 2 u think it would be a smart thing to try and do some selective pruning so to try and train it to go up rather than out like a bush on the early yrs and lastly when i planted some ameri chestnuts back in march i placed a 4 to 5 ft tall plastic tube to kinda protect them from deer and appalachian cotton tails as well as train them to go up would ya think this might help as well

4. Flamestead

Flamestead

I would be quite surprised if you had deer trouble. I wish the deer would eat my Beech rather than Maples. Up here we spend a lot of effort managing against Beech growth as opposed to for it.

5. Warner

Warner

Cut down some trees here and you will end up with beech saplings so thick you can barely walk through them.

Flamestead and patrick kozlowski like this.
  6. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

You can prune them to encourage them to go up. I don’t know at what diameter you will cause a permanent scar when you prune.

patrick kozlowski likes this.