In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any Model Rail Road folks here? O-Gauge...

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by shack, Oct 6, 2022.

1. shack

shack

Wondering if there are any other model rail road guys here??? I have mainly Lionel engines and rolling stock. I did a search and only saw a couple of posts from back in 2016 I think. Getting ready to do a regular set up finally...something simple to start with. Be interested in knowing about other folk's and their set up and about good memories you may have had from your child hood train days. Also, any insights on keeping this hobby affordable??? - I find Menards has some good deals on some O-Gauge things. Thanks.

2. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I have the model trains bug as well. I'm mostly into HO, but I have a smattering of O and N because I just can't help myself. I'm in the collector stage and haven't started a layout yet. I've built and bought lots of structures so I'm ready to go whenever I get caught up on firewood. Most of my purchases come from train shows/swap meets, but I buy special pieces on eBay and I've bought a few collections as well.

Eric VW, Stinny and shack like this.
  3. shack

shack

I have some great engines and great specialty cars. Mostly Lionel with some MTH and K Line. Have a few great KW and ZW transformers that have been rebuilt and are ready to go! I have most all of the track, most is the Menards 3 rail that I really like from Menards, and it's a good price. So I am not supposed to be using heavy power tools right now, like the table saw, and a carpenter buddy is going to give me a hand with things in a few weeks. Would be great to get the basics together and be running before Thanksgiving! I also know that I thought the same thing last year before my accident...ugh/lol.

Eric VW, WinonaRail and Stinny like this.
  4. Stinny

Stinny

My brother and I had a fairly big (for us) train layout when we were kids. Took up 1/4 of the basement. I remember building hills with screen and plaster... laying down track beds... assembling cars... wiring up street/building lights, etc. A lot of good memories.

I'll bet many good deals are out there on Ebay, etc... just gotta spend the time to look for em. Must be loads of attics full of old train sets.

Jutt, brenndatomu, shack and 2 others like this.
  5. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I actually run a BST group on Facebook called Model Trains for Sale or Trade. Over 34K members. There's a lot of stuff available including track, accessories and modeling supplies in addition to motive power and rolling stock. I don't make any money on this - just letting you know about a resource (or another opportunity to help you spend your money). :whistle:

6. shack

shack

There are some reasonable deals out there. But I seem to find a lot of folks that think everything is worth a thousand dollars... lol. I really look and collect Christmas cars and Illuminated cabooses. Makes me happy!

7. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I have always wanted to be a miniature railroader but it didn't happen. I think I am more interested in the scenery setups than the trains themselves. I have been watching Luke Towan - Boulder Creek Railroad build some really neat scenery sets.

shack, campinspecter and brenndatomu like this.