In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Another pellet manufacturer????

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by imacman, Aug 3, 2015.

1. imacman

imacman

I didn't want to hijack Silvrblkk's thread, so thought I'd start another one.

I just got off the phone with a well-known pellet seller about 25 miles from me in Middletown, NY
    They had a big spread on CL, and when I called, he said he had 3 brands in stock. Lignetics (green letter, $290/ton), Energex hardwood ($280/ton), and a brand I never heard of...."Still River Wood Pellets" (supposedly hardwood, $270/ton).

He stated that they started up in Jan. of 2015......and are shipped from Penn., but I haven't heard mention here of any new pellet mills there. Anyone ever heard of these?

Now, this is where it gets interesting (Jay T needs to do some digging on this).....the address on the bag shows a place in CT.... "Eastford Wood Fiber at 27 Chaplin Rd, Eastford, CT 06242-9439. Google maps shows a pallet plant near the address. Is this "Inferior's" 2.0???? :bug:

They have a FaceBook page too www.facebook.com/Stillriverpellets

Comments?
    :popcorn:
    Untitled1.jpg

Russell, ivanhoe, savemoney and 3 others like this.
  2. imacman

imacman

LOLOLOL Just called another new pellet retailer in the same Middletown, NY area.......they have "Premium grade Blackstone Wood Pellets" - hardwood @$270/ton. Take one guess what the address is on the bag? See address in my 1st post above. :picard:
    Untitled2.jpg

Russell, ivanhoe, savemoney and 2 others like this.
  3. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: That is too funny...I wonder if the UPC would point to something?

Russell and ivanhoe like this.
  4. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

5. imacman

imacman

Russell, ivanhoe and Pete Zahria like this.
  6. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

:rofl: :lol: true!

Choo Choo Tommy and ivanhoe like this.
  7. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

This place is just down the road. I assume they are somewhat connected. Looks to be a Pallet plant on one side and the Pellet plant on the other.

http://www.industrialpallet.com/

Maybe one of the boys on the eastern side of CT(ttdberg or IHATEPROPANE ) can check it out??

ivanhoe likes this.
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

IIRC there was also another mill near them in Milford NY.

UPC might help if possible.

ivanhoe likes this.
  9. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Sounds similar to Easy Heat.....pellets on one side and sister company that makes pallets on the other.

ivanhoe likes this.
  10. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

I do believe TT has some of those Blackstone in his stash. Not sure though. Robbins down the street from me carries them. I plan on buying a few bags when the season gets going.

I think the mill is about 45 min from me so I doubt I will check it out unless it is on my way somewhere.

ivanhoe, jtakeman and slvrblkk like this.
  11. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Heard there's another start up mill getting ready to take off in Maine. Pinetree Pellet Fuels.

http://pinetreepelletfuels.com/

The weird that when you go to their site they also have a link to tworiverspellets.com

So looks like we could see 2 pellets out of the mill?? I assume 1 is pellet dealer the other would be boxstore. ;)

12. imacman

imacman

Anyone that has some of these brands better be quite careful while burning.....Infernos were ground up pallets too, along with other scrap lumber. Nails & staples aren't good for augers.

Russell, ivanhoe, Pete Zahria and 2 others like this.
  13. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I'll ask them, But most of the pallet plants are similar to the hardwood floor plants, Cabinet makers or lumber mills from what I'm told. They use the left over scrapes/saw dust to make the pellets.

"Not" ground up oily skids(with nails) Or construction waste with paint like the other guys did. Where the reclaimed wood was run through a shredder.

ivanhoe likes this.
  14. subsailor

subsailor

I didn't get much of anything when I clicked the link but if this is the place I've heard of it's in an abandoned school in Madawaska, Maine. 2 small pellet machines, hand stacked product, a real small place. I'm not even sure they'll do 100 tons/day. They're still installing equipment, haven't started up yet the last I knew. So I imagine they'll have the growing pains all pellet mills have when they start. I know first hand that MWP, which I think is a decent pellet given the price, was the worst pellet on the planet when they first started up.

15. savemoney

savemoney

you have that 100% spot on. They were putting out industrial grade as "premium" early learning curve, but nerveless, they did learn the error of their ways and cleaned up their act. Now, they have a really decent product. I don't think they ever intended to misrepresent their product. They seem to be really honest hard working people.

ivanhoe and CleanFire like this.
  16. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

A couple of the start up mills have done some excellent pellets and usually cheap for me in the past. Kind of like a micro brew beer per say. I wouldn't plan on buyin tons and tons. But I always loved trying the beginnings, And fun too!

Fiber quality was their hitch. They weren't getting enough of the bark off the whole logs they were chipping.

ivanhoe and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  17. subsailor

subsailor

I talked with MWP's salesman a couple of years ago. He was brought in after the disastrous startup issues. He had a hard time convincing ScotL's father to change their bag, which back then was a green shape of the State of Maine. He told them they needed to disassociate themselves from that bag in order to move forward with a better product. Hence the log cabin with the pallets of pellets outside was born.

ivanhoe, CleanFire and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  18. lordmetalz28

lordmetalz28

I found blackstones at Mulch Mart in middletown also. I picked up two bags to try. I dont expect much from them honestlyn ill keep you posted

ivanhoe, imacman, ttdberg and 2 others like this.
  19. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Good way to go at them. I find that way you don't get disappointed by them. And ya never know, Some may surprise ya.

I've had a few that were supposed to be all dat and I expected quality. Crappy feeling when they just don't meet whats expected.

ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  20. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

I did pick up some of these at the very end of last season, it was too late to burn them though. Here is a pic of the bag, sorry for the quality it's buried in my spares pile.

random_bags.jpg

ivanhoe, CleanFire, jtakeman and 3 others like this.