In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Another Black Rifle thread..

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by In the Pines, Sep 29, 2020.

1. In the Pines

In the Pines

Yes it's another black rifle thread..
    I just picked this beauty up a few weeks back for a present to myself.
    It is an airforce texan .45 pellet rifle.
    20200927_145356[1].jpg

2. ErikR

ErikR

Cool... I don't have a lot of knowledge about air rifles, so pardon my dumb question but how do you refill that air cylinder?

3. In the Pines

In the Pines

you need a high pressure air source, scuba/scba tank that can be filled at dive shops, paintball stores, some fire depts I hear do it as well.
    I bought a cheap 4500 psi compressor to fill an scba tank I bought. You can also buy a hand pump which I hear give quite the work out.
    This rifle is good for about 3-4 shots before the rounds start to lose POI and losing FPE. It has different power bands though so I suppose you could eek some more shots out
    of it but at lower settings it's more a paper puncher than whitetail hunting.
    Some guys take a small extra cylinder out in the woods to top it off, some don't.
    PS: If a mod sees this can you change the title to add (yet) at beginning because we have a thread titled this I believe and I didn't mean to make it the same title..

4. Eckie

Eckie

Sweet! What's the effective range on that thing (full psi power)? Have you had a chance to try it out?

5. Eckie

Eckie

Can you post a link to the compressor you bought? A friend was talking about getting one, and was trying to figure out how to fill the bottles besides the hand pump or trying to get filled at the fire station.

6. In the Pines

In the Pines

you can take big game over 100 yards with a 350+ grain round. Guys are shooting over 600 yards with this though. If you're good I think a 600 yd kill shot is possible.
    I doubt I'd ever try that though and honestly I think you really need to know your rifle/scope and skill set for a shot that far on air.
    Around here 100 yds is probably pushing it anyway. I kind of look at it the same as blackpowder.
    Guys are doing 1k yard challenge with them.
    1k yards obviously is pushing the limit and testing your skill to get on target.
    I am using a yong heng compressor. I just grabbed a link, shop around and probably can find it cheaper than that.
    It takes about 1.5 hrs to fill a 88cuft scba tank from empty.. Once it's filled though it won't take but 20 mins tops probably to refill it.
    Reason being is I don't let the big tank drop much below 3k.
    I've only had it out twice to attempt to get my cheap scope zeroed in. 50 yds is farthest I've shot it so far. I didn't get it zeroed in yet so I'll be out punching paper more in the following days.

7. In the Pines

In the Pines

Dahmer wanted some specs on my .45 so here they are..
    • Max Fill Pressure: 3000 psi
    • Action: Single Shot
    • Weight: 7.65 lbs
    • Length: 48 inches
    • Barrel: 34 inches
    • Caliber: 0.457
    • Trigger: 2 Stage, adjustable for position
    • Safety: Automatic on cocking
    • Air Tank Volume: 490cc
    • Sights: Open or Optical may be installed
    • Velocity: 1000 feet per second*
    • Energy: 600 foot pounds*
    • Max Velocity 1040 fps
      Muzzle Energy 611 ft/lbs measured with 405 grain
    There is also a carbon fiber bottle available that allows up to 4300 psi. I went with aluminum.

Horkn, Eckie and Cold Trigger Finger like this.
  8. In the Pines

In the Pines

kind of forgot about this, I went out a while back and got the new scope close to zerod in .
    Probably more me and my makeshift rest. Probably close enough for a kill shot though.
    20201107_150120[1].jpg
    Need to start making my own boolits for this.

Timberdog, Screwloose, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  9. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

That's awesome!
    A 405 gr book it @ 1k mv is a lot of power from what I imagine is a very quiet rifle.
    Looks like it's zeroed fairly close.
    Just about everyone makes a 405 gr .458 mold.
    Lee is probably the least expensive.
    Mihec are Super nice molds ! Those are the 2 brands I have so far. But I think I will be getting a couple Accurate Molds © for different carts I shoot.

Accurate Molds: Custom Bullet Molds :: Order

Definately worth it to look over their molds . they have a multitude of designs. And u can design your own mold and they will make it for you at a small cost.

10. In the Pines

In the Pines

Thank you, it isn't that quiet as one might think. It's borderline hearing protection. I actually do wear ear plugs.
    I chuckled when I read your post, because I have a tab opened to accurate molds. I'm still trying to decide which way to go.
    If I want to cast or swage. I'm trying to find a rebated boat tail mold for casting but I may have to get one designed since I haven't found it yet above 200 gr +/-
    I know the die is available for swaging, as that is what I have been punching paper with.
    Do you lube or PC?

11. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

So far I lube. But in reality I haven't poured a boolit or reloaded a shell for a year and a half. All I've been doing is working and building.
    I'm starting to get a real hankerin to shoot my 480 tho. Soon as I come up with more large pistol primers. I will load up a bunch. Don't want to shoot up what I have without making more.
    A rebated boat tail 458 boolit would be AWESOME !
    Especially @ around 400 gr weight. I might be able to stabilize it down to sub sonic from my 458 Winchester.mag.
    I can do some figurin. Maybe 15 to 18 gr of Unique might do it.
    But also turn it up to over 2100 fps .
    My rifle has the standard 1-14" twist.

I want to get going on PC ing . Pretty simple shake and bake.
    Way less mess and no leading.

Screwloose and In the Pines like this.
  12. In the Pines

In the Pines

20210321_161802[1].jpg
    20210321_161755[1].jpg
    20210321_165229[1].jpg
    20210321_165244[1].jpg
    I've had this old pressure tank sitting around I was plinking with my .22 air rifle.
    Decided to try the .45 on it at 27 yards.
    1st pic is a 350 gr HP
    rest are when I dropped down to a 279gr HP
    Very bottom was when I let the air drop right below 2k and a 279g HP, wish I could have recovered
    a few.

13. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

How loud are these air rifles? Thanks

Screwloose, In the Pines and Eckie like this.
  14. In the Pines

In the Pines

Probably should wear hearing protection. Not city backyard friendly.
    not sure on the actual decibel rating, but I found a clip that does a decent job of how loud it is.

Screwloose, Casper and OhioStihl like this.
  15. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

An AR in 350 legend I just put together for our fairly new straight wall rifle cartridge deer season. Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 for glass.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Screwloose, JackHammer, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  16. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

How do you like the .350 legend? They were also trying to talking me into that when I bought my .450 bushmaster bolt action

Screwloose and Horkn like this.
  17. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

My nephew used a 350 Legend last year and it was very effective. He liked it and Ive only heard good things about the cartridge. The only straight wall cartridge Ive actually used is the 450 Bushmaster and it has impressed me thus far. So, no first hand experience on the 350 as of yet.

Screwloose and Horkn like this.
  18. Horkn

Horkn

If you want a soft shooting deer rifle and don't need to shoot past 200 yards much, if ever, the 350 legend is a great choice. For an ar15 all you need is a different barrel and mags. You can use the same BCG as a 5.56x45.

Recoil on a 7 lb rifle is like 8.5 lbs, and it's about 10% less than a soft shooting 30-30.

If I had to use a straight wall deer rifle, it's probably go with the 450 bushmaster though, simply because I'm at the age where a bit more recoil isn't an issue

Screwloose and Ronaldo like this.
  19. ErikR

ErikR

OK, don't laugh, but here's my newest black rifle.... I'm a retired LEO but for several years before I retired I was the Glock and Ar-15 armorer, and the lead firearms instructor. I have experience with a couple of select fire weapons systems, both AR based and H&K MP5... It was a whole lot of fun working for the county, but I'm also glad to be gone. I was missing the feeling of full auto, so the wife decided that she was going to get me an early Christmas present.

For under $200 all in, thank you Pre-Black Friday sales at Amazon, she got me this.

20211126_222700.jpg

20211126_222649.jpg

I will say that from 5 feet away it's pretty darn close to the real thing. Lots of metal pieces, plenty of weight. It has a lot of the same features as a real one, working magazine release, working bolt release, working safety selector, working adjustable stock, a working ejection port cover, and it even has the same push pins to break it open. It has a removable magazine that holds 2 co2 cylinders and 25 bb's.. I added an old flashlight/vertical fore grip that I had from years ago while I was still employed. I'm left handed so the flashlight is on the back side in the picture.. Tomorrow I'll try it out!

20. corncob

corncob

I own lots of rifles and handguns but no AR platforms. Don't feel the need for one nor do I feel the need for a PCP rifle, at least not until our wonderful gummit outlaws weapons that go bang. Then maybe.

Have my own private 350 yard range out back as well, complete with covered shooting benches and the backstop is 3 feet of sand with 1/2" steel plate. It's all of 75 feet from the bench to my reloading bench.

I handload everything I shoot except rimfire of course. Nothing smaller than 30 cal. rifle wise and I'm very fond of my tricked out Savage 11-111 long range hunter in 338 Lapua. My go to long range rifle when needed. 6 years ago, I did an invitational soot in Las Vegas and we were shooting steel at 1500 yards, that was fun. You could send one, lay the stick down and watch the hit on the closed circuit TV cam.

Normally load Bergers in 30 cal and 250 or 300 grain Lapua Scenars in 250 grain or 300 grain (with H1000) in Lapua brass for the big stick. With me, optics are everything. I tend to mount Swarvoski optics and use Swaro bino's as well. The bigger they are the more they cost. Just so happens I'm friends with Brian Litz from Berger and he is probably the foremost ballistician in the entire country. If Brian says it's good to go, it's good to go and all the wall mounts I have attest to that. I'm a 'one shot one kill' hunter. I also develop loads and handload for the other 2 hunters I hunt with. They shoot my handloads exclusively.

Very expensive hobby, not just in equipment but in hunts as well. Old men have expensive hobbies.