In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

And then there were 5...

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by g60gti, Mar 13, 2017.

1. g60gti

g60gti

cookers that is. Picked up this akorn Komodo style cooker at Home Depot today. Was in there a few weeks ago and they had 2 marked down on clearance to $219. Took a look at it and decided I had enough grills/cookers so I left without it. Last couple weeks I've been thinking about and researching the cooker and see that they have excellent reviews and most people really enjoy the way they cook. Was in getting haircut today right next to HD so figured I'd go see if it was still there. There was only one left and it was marked down to $149, how could I not! It has the cart and bigger table too, the other one just has smaller pop up side tables. Well, it followed me home today. Excited for nicer weather to get this thing smoking. Will be reading about mods and how this thing works till then though. Always wanted to get a Komodo style cooker but the prices were outrageous on the BGE's and Komodo Joe's are even more expensive. I'm sure BGE uses higher quality parts and is more durable but for the price most people on the forums say they cook very similarly. It'll be kept in garage out of elements so I'm sure it'll last for a wile. So now it's 5 cookers, akorn, UDS, Weber charcoal, Weber genesis redhead and Masterbuilt electric.

Anyone have Komodo style cooker? This one exactly? Do you like it, what don't you like? I'm excited!
    IMG_0884.JPG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    FatBoy85, Woodwidow, jeff_t and 4 others like this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

$149 out the door and in the truck?
    You.........$uck. :rofl: :lol:
    Great smoker....can't wait to see what anyone else posts, or what you cook/smoke on it!:thumbs:
    :yes:

3. g60gti

g60gti

Plus tax of course, NYS needs their cut. Wife just rolled her eyes and the garage is getting full but I couldn't pass it up.

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Shoot, I can't blame ya- you tell her she'll enjoy whatever you cook on it!:handshake:

5. Horkn

Horkn

Hmm, our local HD stores don't carry that brand.

Nice scores!

savemoney, NortheastAl and Eric VW like this.
  6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Well then..... your HD's blow.:rofl: :lol:
    It's a great score tho, either way ya skin it.:handshake:

7. Horkn

Horkn

Lol, my HD's had my dolkita. :D

Lowe's blowe's:rofl: :lol:

8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Hey, on that saw, all good....grills/smokers- not so much?
    :whistle:
    :yes:

savemoney, NortheastAl and Horkn like this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

Maybe. Hard to say. I just looked online, and not actually at the store:handshake:

NortheastAl and Eric VW like this.
  10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Didn't look online, so I'll take yer word for it.:thumbs:

savemoney, NortheastAl and Horkn like this.
  11. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Super score! At that price you can't go wrong. Now I gotta check my HD. Hope there's a deal like this on the eastern side of the state.

savemoney likes this.
  12. yooperdave

yooperdave

What do you suppose the first meal will be?

Dead cow or dead pig? :D

NortheastAl likes this.
  13. g60gti

g60gti

Probably dead pig. Butt is always a good one to learn a new cooker on, cheap and hard to mess up too bad. It's 15 degrees here now, gonna have to warm up a bit. However, going to do cream cheese jalapeƱo stuffed chicken thighs tonight on the masterbuilt, that thing is amazingly well insulated and I've cooked in the teens with no problems.

FatBoy85, yooperdave and NortheastAl like this.
  14. jeff_t

jeff_t

Lots of reading here.

The air slider on mine was pretty sloppy, and the ash pan was definitely not tight. I got some BGE gasket and used it on the ash pan sealing surface, and around the slider like shown in one of the threads.

We got another for our vacation home, and it was pretty decent. If it seems pretty tight I would try it as is.

I use a charcoal grate from a 22.5" Weber kettle and a steel pizza pan for a heat deflector when indirect cooking, also in one of the threads there. I think I'm gonna pick up a pizza stone, though, when I find one cheap at a garage sale. I want to see if I can keep the grease from burning when the meat starts to drip on the pan.

It's a really nice cooker for the money.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    NortheastAl and savemoney like this.
  15. savemoney

savemoney

Looks like a fun thing to have for backyard cooking. I would try pork on it first if it were up to me.

NortheastAl likes this.
  16. g60gti

g60gti

Thanks. I was looking at all the BBQ forums I frequent but there was not too much info. That will provide some hours of reading. I'm also already looking a a temperature controller but they're more than I paid for the grill!

jeff_t and NortheastAl like this.
  17. jeff_t

jeff_t

I think once you get used to it, you'll find the temp controller unnecessary. Might be nice for overnight cooks, but a wireless thermometer that can wake you up will provide similar service, and be used with other cookers.

I've found that since it doesn't have the mass of a ceramic, it is fairly easy to bring the temp down if you overshoot. And once you get used to how to set the slider, it's pretty predictable.

I'm pretty sure Certified106 has an akorn and a ceramic. He might have some more insight.

NortheastAl likes this.