In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Am I Too Honest?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jan 29, 2022.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive been selling black locust on CL. I only sell to stove/insert burners as its serious firewood. Ive had a few calls from fireplace burners and ive declined to sell to them. I explain that it gives off an unpleasant odor when burned. They thank me and go on their way. One guy i explained this too was giving it some thought and called me back. Dropped his half cord.

Am i being too honest? Should i sell to just anyone? Id prefer to sell to serious burners. I have three regulars for it. IMG_0181.JPG

2. Horkn

Horkn

I'd keep doing what you are doing.

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I'd continue as you do and give people a heads up. May not be pleasant to some.

4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I suppose instead of turning someone away, you could offer an alternative of other seasoned wood you have.

5. Slocum

Slocum

Honest is always best. But honestly have never smelled the odor. I’d be more worried about the popping Amber’s in a fireplace. It does seem like a waste to burn it in a fireplace but if that’s all a guy has why not. Don’t change a thing Brad, no doubt in my mind your selling a seasoned good product. That’s almost unheard of when it comes to firewood.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

The guy the other day i did that to. He thanked me for my honesty and hung up. Later on that day while moving rounds i spotted my 1/2 cord+ stack of hickory (CSS late 2019) i was going to list for sale. Called him later and he accepted at almost the BL price (which i was going list at the same anyhow)
    Delivered late Thursday. I keep a reserve of seasoned for my regulars that may call for more later in the burning season. Have to keep them happy.

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Did that for a guy back in December. Sold him half cord of oak. He later complained about "grubs" under some of the loose bark. REAL nice nearly million dollar house in an upscale neighborhood, so he was probably expecting "designer" firewood. :picard:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  8. Yawner

Yawner

I am not aware of the smell, haven't burned it that much in a fireplace but if that is what you feel is the truth, I'd say keep doing it and that was my thought, as well, to convert them to another wood. Obviously, they are wanting firewood.

9. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Brad, as Slocum said, honesty is the only way. I tell people exactly what they're getting and that's that. I've not noticed the odor either as long as the BL is dry. As to the fancy house guy I'd sell him clean bark free wood at 3X the price or politely decline the sale.

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I have oak heartwood that i sell to a friend and use to mix with bundle wood.

Do you pull bark free and get 3X the price AC? The two huge pin oaks i processed last year have bark on and bark off stacks. I may market a cord or two of barkless in a couple years. A new marketing strategy of mine if i score big oak.

11. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

You can Never go wrong by being honest it will always repay you a hundredfold!!! I run a honest shop sometimes it costs me a repair job that should not be done but other shops would charge for but I would rather be honest about it . I would keep on doing what you do you will always have good customer base JB

12. Smaug

Smaug

Some folks these days...
    You could give them a gold bar, and they would complain it was too heavy.

Actually, I'd try reverse psychology.
    "I'm sorry, I can't sell this wood to you, it's for experts only."
    :rofl: :lol:

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Funny you say that. I state in the ad "serious firewood for the serious burner", "not for the casual burner"
    I should say "youre not serious" when they call! :rofl: :lol:

14. Rich L

Rich L

You did the right thing telling them about the smell.One of the joys of burning in a fireplace is the aroma of the wood.It's part of the ambience.

15. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I don't get quite 3X, maybe 2.25X. Clean barkless dry wood is for the ambiance burners that only go thru maybe 1/3 cord per season. $ 200.00 for a 1/3 cord load. Usually Ash,Cherry & Oak. It costs money to be rich & have fires on Thanksgiving, Christmas, & New Years don'tcha know.:rofl: :lol:

16. Locust Post

Locust Post

One never has to be sorry about being honest.

17. jrider

jrider

I burn BL in my fireplace quite often and don't notice an unpleasant odor...shouldn't that be going up the chimney? I can never smell any of the smoke.

18. farmer steve

farmer steve

The only reason I wouldn't sell locust to a fireplace burner is the chance of snap,crackle and pop that locust can do even well seasoned. Same with mulberry and sassafras. Personally I think locust smells great but that was about all we burnt for campfires and in the stove in the house. I guess it's an acquired aroma. I think it smells like $$ too.

19. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Just because you have a fireplace doesn't mean you can't be a serious burner. I burn more wood than probably the entire village combined lmfao.

While it may be unpleasant to some folks I absolutely love the smell of black locust. That said, I don't really get odors from my fireplace. All I get is heat. The odors go right up the chimney unless a piece falls to the front of the firebox which happens every once in a while.

I do, however, appreciate the fact that you warn people about the smell. I tell anyone who will listen about how some people don't like the smell of black locust and have one neighbor whose wife is sensitive to certain smells.

I think edumacation on moisture content, stacking wood off the ground, how pine is FINE, etc. is great and I think you should sell to anyone who wants to buy it.

If someone is on the fence about black locust because of the possible odor issue, give them a few splits and have them toss it in their next fire to see if it even makes a difference. I think they'll be more pleasantly surprised about the quality of the heat output of black locust.

20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Thats what i say about plumbing.
    "It smells like money to me"

buZZsaw BRAD and farmer steve like this.