In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Alaskan milling black locust

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by FatBoy85, Apr 2, 2018.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

So I’ve got logs that are BL. Thought about making some boards for flower beds raised, but wondering if the logs are feasible for it. Logs are around 3.5-4.5 feet long. At 200 for a mill..not including the preliminary cut set up(term needed here but I’m certain its a duh). Anyways since the lumber lasts, I’m interested in cutting my own. Never done it before, curious though

2. Brian72

Brian72

You can use a 2x10 or 2x12 for your first cut. No need for anything fancy. Just make sure you don't hit the screws. It's only for flower beds so no need to be extremely precise.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Would you be able to explain how this is done? I mean I’m a real newb of this sort of thing so I’m gonna admit that. I just wonder if I can make boards that will last a bit.

NortheastAl likes this.
  4. Brian72

Brian72

Sure. Just screw the board down flat and run the mill down the top for your first cut. Again, be sure you don't hit the screws. Using a board longer than the log will make it easier to start and finish the cut by supporting the mill on both ends. After the first cut, the mill runs on the previous flat cut or you can continue using the board as a guide. I'll attach a few pics. We used an old ladder across sawhorses for our first cut on these logs but I've also used 2x10s.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Thanks Brian72!

Horkn and NortheastAl like this.
  6. Brian72

Brian72

Anytime. Also, use wedges in the cut so the bar doesn't get pinched. Plenty of great info in the milling forums. It's fairly easy to get started. Don't over-think it. You'll learn a lot as you go. Getting one end up and milling downhill helps too.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

What’s the wood you cut there??

Horkn and NortheastAl like this.
  8. Brian72

Brian72

Poplar in the first 2 pics. We made benches and a picnic table for my buddy. I don't remember what the other log was. Could've been Poplar also. I slabbed it for another friend.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

woody5506, T-Stew, FatBoy85 and 8 others like this.
  9. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Anchor the 2x12 to the log on both ends, and use a string down the length of it to get it perfectly flat. Shim it where it needs shimmed. Just be sure to not hit the screws you use to secure the board!

10. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

It is not as difficult as it looks. You should go for it. I went on You tube and watched a bunch of those before my first milling.
    Flower beds are just the first thing you can make with your own lumber. There are numerous projects that will come to mind once you get started.

I milled some more wood today so that I can start on a bench that will match the table I made. Fun Fun Fun.

11. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

12. bocefus78

bocefus78

Lay down a tarp for the mess! It's dust, not big chips...and a pia to get outta grass.
    Wedges in the cut for sure. More is better.
    Lots of bar oil. Max your oiler out. Depending on bar length, consider an auxiliary oiler
    Mix fuel rich.
    Let saw idle for 1 whole minute to cool down after each cut before saw shutdown.
    A 30 inch mill making a max width cut requires about 6 extra inches of bar length. Ie 36" bar

Just a few tips off the top of my head that haven't been mentioned.

What saw, bar, log diameter, etc?

13. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Another way to keep the chain oiled better is by cutting the bar oil with ATF or diesel.

If you like books I recommend “Chainsaw Lumbermaking” by Will Malloff.

Locust is pretty hard stuff and it gets even harder as it dries. Most of the time there is a layer of dirt under the bark that is just brutal on your chain so I’d recommend peeling the bark off first. If it’s been sitting for any length of time it might fall right off anyway.

It’s one of the most rot resistant hardwoods for ground contact in North America. It’s probably a superior choice even to EPA pressure treated they sell these days. I like to make it into 4x runners for my firewood pallets.

9EF1CE28-A608-45A6-853A-8902D94CEB4E.jpeg 1E8E9427-63AC-438B-B392-4A17BA325FBC.jpeg

Don’t buy the chain they sell as “milling” chain. It’s semi chisel and cuts a lot slower. Square ground works best but full chisel round filed with top angle at 10 degrees is almost as good.

14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I second that statement. Works good for me.

P270916_13.22.jpg DSC01301.JPG

15. lukem

lukem

Check CL. They are usually guys with a woodmizer that will do odd job stuff like this. If you don't plan on milling again, you might break even on paying someone to do it versus buying a mill.

If you want to mill other stuff and decide buying a mill is the way to go, practice on something else first. Get a hunk of poplar or pine. BL, especially if dry, is going to be tough.

Lot's of good advice already given, but I didn't see this one: Remember to clean your filter often...like every other pass until you figure out how much dust you are accumulating.

FatBoy85 and Brian72 like this.
  16. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Only reason why I asked about the locust was how hardy it is to the elements. 10-20 years at that will do great. I just forgot a lot of the irks about black locust like it being unforgiving on a chain because of dust. I also just have the large longer rounds so making things would be nice to try although it’s not quite the beginners wood. I’m hung up at the moment but will reply soon to you guys, this is likely going to be from an 038. Longer bar will be needed, the saw is ported.

Mag Craft and Brian72 like this.
  17. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Hey milling black locust is tough on a good day I run a LT35 hydraulic mill and use 10 degree bi metal blades and fresh cut locust I may get at best 500 bd ft cut if you are new at this try a beam machine since you are cutting for flower beds it does not have to be a perfect board and you can angle the saw to cut more with the grain instead of strait across it will cut a little easier and a beam machine is only around 50.00 as with all milling i advise you to use 25:1 mix premium fuel and synthetic oil
    I cut with a homelite 2100s on a 56" granberg mill also I use a 66" double end bar with 2 homelite 1050 saws for slabbing
    Good Luck

FatBoy85 likes this.
  18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

More I think about it, the better off I am of getting an entire tree down and getting someone to mill it rather than 3-5 foot sections. The wood I picked up
    Recently in beam/ties forms was probably the nail in the coffin for this plan because I had satisfied an idea with wood I paid nothing for. I appreciate all your advice, that goes without saying! My direction with this might be that if I could grow a couple black locust trees under control but unfortunately that doesn’t sound likely unless there’s a way to do that without killing trees or rather anything else in the vicinity of them.

What prompted this idea was a really well made or so it looked table for outside. It wasn’t a table with a few planks width Wise but thin side up. Half inch spaces and About 7’ long. Then same thing down the sides. If anything, this table must have weighed nearly a small car based on its density alone. So if something like this were to be made the table would last several generations and built to be used outdoors. Hard to find wood that has that kind of longevity right?