In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Alaskan Mill?

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Ralphie Boy, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

So.... I've got this 661 that I need to use more. I think I'd like to mill some but know little or nothing about it. This is going to be a hobby not a livelihood, yeah, famous last words I know.

I'm thinking an Alaskan mill that will handle not more than 48" in diameter and that may be a bit overkill (sorry Scotty Overkill) for my needs.

What are your recommendations for a complete mill setup as well as "study guide" reading? I don't know anyone anywhere near me that mills.
    Thanks team!

2. papadave

papadave

3. dingbat

dingbat

Do you really have access to 48" wood? Or is that counting branches you might want to incorporate in to a slab? You're talking about a fifty-some-aught inch bar and would probably want two power heads. I'd size the mill for what I'd likely be cutting most, then grab another set of rails, bar, and chain if I ever came across something that big.

I found that reading all the threads I could find here and a couple other forums like arbor site and OPE gave me all the info I needed to get started. I think the three main things are figuring out your mix to ensure the saw stays well oiled, having a board, ladder, or rails for your mill to ride on that extend far enough past the log as to be able to keep the beginnings and ends of your cuts flat, and keeping your chain sharp and well oiled.

4. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

The more I read I believe 48" is much too big for my needs. Most likely 30" would be max. I have 2 ash trees I need to fell and they top out at 26 and 28" d.b.h. so 24" may be a tad small. Not sure how well a 661 will work with a 30" so my limit is set more by saw size than tree size. It's snowing, then changing to rain so today is perfect for more reading and studying.

Could you shoot me a link to the forums you mentioned?

5. dingbat

dingbat

Outdoor Power Equipment Forum
    Arboristsite.com

You'll loose as much as 8" off your bar length for your max cut, and then you'll want a little clearance at that. I've got a 20" bar on my saw and it opens up to about 13-1/2".

Barcroftb, brenndatomu, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  6. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I run a 36" mill, using one of my Stihl 064's or occasionally the Stihl Contra.

The 36" is a good size because as has already been mentioned, you will lose some length due to mounting etc. I plan on building an auxiliary oiler for the bar, that's one of the big things with these longer Mills that you want to make sure you have. Lots of bar lubrication.

You'd be wise to get something in the Husky 372-395xp or Stihl MS460/461 to 064/066/MS660 for your powerhead. You're gonna want 75-100cc, trust me.

Barcroftb, brenndatomu, Steve and 8 others like this.
  7. blacksmith

blacksmith

Me an Scotty Overkill milled a honey locust log about 26" in diameter with my 661 and I have a 36" bar for my mill:D. It used one tank of gas per 12 ft board!:hair: It pulled it quite well just slow going, it was hard stuff! :hair:

8. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

I've got a 661 that ain't doing much these days, that's 91cc. Think that's enough?

9. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

That'd be plenty. We used blacksmith's 661 a few tmes, just make sure it's oiling good and might wanna riches up your mix a tad. I run all my saws at 40:1 and tune them accordingly.

Just to be safe.

Chaz, Barcroftb, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  10. blacksmith

blacksmith

Ralphie Boy if you didn't do it already make sure that you push the pin in by your oiler adjustment screw. This allows you to turn it up for a bit more output!

Chaz, Barcroftb, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  11. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Sounds like fun!

Barcroftb, dingbat and Ralphie Boy like this.
  12. JCMC

JCMC

Hey Ralphie Boy check out the book Chainsaw Lumbermaking by Will Malloff it is full of great info for chainsaw milling!

billb3, Chaz, Barcroftb and 4 others like this.
  13. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Thanks! Always good advice to be had here!

Barcroftb and brenndatomu like this.
  14. Steve

Steve

Watching Nathan mill logs at his Out of the woods channel is a good way to get the milling juices flowing. He's laid back and knows his stuff.

Barcroftb and brenndatomu like this.
  15. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Hey your 661 will make a good milling saw 36'' bar good size for that powerhead try to run skip rip chain I use oregon chain on our saws 3120 husky and o76 stihl and 395 husky and on the 66" I run 2 super 1050 homelites all use 404 rip 27RX super skip run your saw on 25:1 mix milling is hard on saw engines keep air filter clean ripping is much finer sawdust and it can clog quickly your saw with a 36 should be ok with the oiler turned up any longer bar you need aux oiler tank mounted on the mill and the bar drilled for the oiler bolt to supply extra oil have fun !!

Chaz, Barcroftb and brenndatomu like this.
  16. Super44

Super44

I checked that book out from our local library and ended up buying one. It is a great place to start and then make the best of what you can get your hands on. The picture is me "sitting" and my brother milling a 28 inch white oak 2.5 inches think by 12 feet long. I was a LOT of work but I hope to end up with a really nice work bench sometime in the future. My McCulloch Pro Mac 700 was a bit short on power for the center of a log this size but I did get all the way to the end of the log on every cut.

Attached Files:

17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It's been about four years since I milled anything but I also bought 15 feet of the EZ Rails. I usually run the 660 or the older 075 for milling with 36 inch mill. Since we bought the tractor (have the pallet forks) getting the logs off the ground will be easier which will make it better on my old frame.
    Granberg EZ Rail Sawmill Guide System — 5Ft., 2 Crossbar Kits, Model# G1085 | Northern Tool + Equipment
    We also bought the Edging Mill.
    EDGING MILL Archives - Granberg International

Chaz, Barcroftb and papadave like this.
  18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Here's a few pics.

Attached Files:

19. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

Chaz, Ralphie Boy and thewoodlands like this.
  20. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

We were cycling yesterday between a Belleview Bottoms and Petersburg and saw a a nice portable mill. Just hook it to your truck or tractor and take it to the trees. I didn't stop and look at it but I'll drive back there and take a few pictures and talk to the owner. I'm quite sure the rig is out of my price range!

Chaz, thewoodlands and Brandon Scott like this.