In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hunting Air rifles

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Reloader, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Reloader

Reloader

After doing some reading I decided to try an air rifle. With years of powder burner experience it is something new to me except for the BB guns we had as kids.
    In short order I was able to acquire guns in .177, .22, .25 and .30. A lot to learn but a lot of fun as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. farmer steve

farmer steve

Sweet!!! I inherited an old (20 years or so) 22 cal. from my BIL. Have only shot it twice. I need to figure out the scope on it and get it sighted in.

M2theB, Reloader, bearverine and 2 others like this.
  3. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

4. Eckie

Eckie

Are all those the compressed air type (as in not the pump us style)? I need to get on the ball and research those more.

Lawd the scope on that thing SKEETER McCLUSKEY .....

M2theB, brenndatomu, Reloader and 4 others like this.
  5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Mines just a little spring loaded... need to check into these...

6. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

7. Timberdog

Timberdog

What kind of range do those things have? Can you hit a prairie dog at 50 or more yards?

M2theB, Reloader and farmer steve like this.
  8. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

IMG_0322.JPG .25 custom wrap by me,and boy did that take some time!

M2theB, brenndatomu, Eckie and 2 others like this.
  9. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

10. Reloader

Reloader

I’ve seen some impressive videos. Not much of a marksman here but I would think a prairie dog at 50 would be no problem with some practice.
    These are 10 shots each with the .177 at 30 yards and people who know what they’re doing can do a lot better. Being able to judge and compensate for the wind with an air rifle is an art in itself and seeing videos of folks doing that are pretty impressive. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Reloader

Reloader

All of mine are filled to 200 bar which is 2900 psi. They make guns that are filled to 300 bar or 4300 psi. Can be filled with a specialized hand pump with a little workout but most use a high pressure tank or compressor to fill with. Shot count varies from gun to gun depending on the starting pressure.
    My guns are unregulated as opposed to a regulated gun which gives a more consistent shot to shot speed over a wider range of pressure in the gun.
    With the unregulated gun, there is a sweet spot where it gives a number of shots at relatively consistent speed but will shoot different speeds when the pressure in the gun is high or low.

M2theB and Timberdog like this.
  12. JackHammer

JackHammer

I picked up a hatsan .30 a few years back. I have put a few hundred rounds through it and I have been very happy. It was pretty cheap and rounds are cheaper.

I want a scope but I can't justify a $200+ sight for a $130 gun. The iron sights are fine though.

I have been able to get real reliable shots and it is great for plinking. They stay real clean too.

I worked a little with a .177 but it didn't have much power behind it. I think of them mostly as toys.

Sometimes pyramid air will have promos for ammo. At the bulk discount, I was able to get a tin of 100 .30 rounds for 8 bucks. I probably got 8 or 10 tins to get the discount.

M2theB likes this.
  13. chris

chris

it is possible to take a white tail at 100 yards with the, 35, 45 or 50 cal units with proper shot placement. It is a bit pricey to get into the pcp units. Although recent new offerings have taken a chunk out it. With the unrealistic current powder burner ammo prices - air units are an alternative for small game if you state allows same. Same holds true for some of the larger game. A 250 - 400 grain slug at apx 900 -700fps is nothing to sneeze at in a 45 or 50 cal unit. Accuracy is as good as muzzle loaders or better. For general plinking the .177 ,20 or .22 are hard to beat. Used to be about apx a penny a shot for .177 but I know prices have gone up a bit.

JackHammer, Eric Wanderweg and M2theB like this.