In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Advice for sore elbows?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Easy Livin' 3000, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Other than slowing down, and a slightly more sour demeanor (it was already pretty sour), I seem to have avoided most things that affect folks physically, as we age. That appears to be coming to an end, as my left elbow began to hurt after sessions of splitting, or spreading mulch, recently. The hurt has now spread to my right elbow. It's not debilitating yet, but definitely very unpleasant.

Any words of wisdom and experience regarding how to deal with sore elbows (other than aspirin, etc.)? I am fairly certain it's in the tendons.

2. iowahiker

iowahiker

I have the same or similar issue. My malady is a cousin to "tennis elbow". Icing several times a day is required when swelling occurs. I generously rub on aspercream (actually I use the cheaper generic equivalent) at bed time each day when a flair up occurs and then switch to every other day at bed time as symptoms subside. "Tennis elbow" and it's cousins can take 1 to 2 years to totally heal. I never medicate prior to activity since pain is signal to regulate activity. My aspercream treatment has reduced my healing time to 1-2 months. I switch from daily to every other day because chemically suppressing inflammation also suppresses healing. Aspercream is over-the-counter usually near the pain pills. Gloves with significant liner and grip provide a "cushion" and reduce my chances of a flair up.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  3. rottiman

rottiman

Hire somebody half your age to do those things........................................:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

4. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Is that your drinkin arm?!.?,

5. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

It is. But I'm ambidextrous in that regard!

6. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Ambidextrous? I’m cool with that, I don’t judge people.

Mwalsh9152, T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and 7 others like this.
  7. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

That is why we have straws (wait a second, Jack Straw should know this)!!

8. fishingpol

fishingpol

I have tendonitis right now. I use the arm band with the nub to put gentle pressure on the muscle in the forearm, below the elbow. Resting the arm is important as to not aggravate it. I used to get it a lot hand-splitting with a maul. The switch to hydraulics was necessary. Some days it just about feels resolved, and then I lift something heavy and back to the pain. It can really damper getting work done.

9. Midwinter

Midwinter

I got this for my husband at Walmart. He says it's really helpful for muscle pain around the elbow. IMG_20200325_7464.jpg

10. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I might have to try one of these.

11. fishingpol

fishingpol

I also use one at night to keep my arm slightly bent so in don't bend it too much. It has helped a bit. Almost restricts movement at the elbow.

12. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

But generally, only one arm at a time.

13. rottiman

rottiman

So much for being a "two-fisted" drinker.........................:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

14. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Those days a long behind me, they kidneys just wouldn't be able to handle it!

15. yooperdave

yooperdave

My blunt cousin would usually single out the cheapest guy in the bar and then yell at him.....

"Put something on the bar besides your elbows, you cheap ……"

Worked every time :D

16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I get the tennis elbow too. I make a effort to sleep on my back and have my arms extended straight down my sides. Sleeping with them at or greater than a 90 degree irritates it worse when it’s flared up.
    I’ve thought about the elastic things. I think I’ll get some, since I’m currently shopping for a new back brace.
    Great share of info here. I’ve also read taking fish oil supplements can help. Not tried it yet.

17. lukem

lukem

I had a debilitating case of tendonitis in my right elbow a year or so ago....so bad that I still do things out of habit with my left hand that I would have normally done with my right. It lasted forever until I really committed to resting it, deep tissue work, and a bunch of advil for a month. Feels fine now.

The deep tissue work is unbelievably painful, but worked. Basically you scrape your tendons and muscles to break down scar tissue and adhesions so the tendon has more room to move instead of putting g all the pressure where it meets the bone.

18. imwiley1

imwiley1

I had an issue with my left elbow hurting after a long splitting session. Ordered a compression sleeve and it worked great. I would only wear it while sleeping as that's when the pain would bother me the most. Took some time but have no issue with it since.

19. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I like the fish oil supplement idea, I should be taking it anyway. I took it for a while, but couldn't stand it because I had a constant strong fish flavor coming up, and belches were disgusting. I think there is some alternative (maybe krill or algae) that might be less fishy.

20. rottiman

rottiman

Now you know what harp seals feel like everyday......................................:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: