In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A Ton of Hammer Hot Ones followed me home.

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by nailed_nailer, Dec 14, 2017.

1. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

Just grabbed a ton of Hammers from Acushnet Alternative Energy (SE Mass) today.
    My first day off in 17 days and only day off till end of year (ex-Christmas Day) so I had to act quick. I'm a mailman and we are a bit busy right now

Paid way too much for them but I was in a quandary.
    Home Heating Oil is $2.30 a gallon around me. I have about 6 gallons left in tank.
    HD has Fireside Ultras for $249.00 a ton
    AAE had EZ-Blaze or Hammers for $300.00 a ton.
    I needed a hot pellet for the cold nights.
    So I pulled the trigger on the Hammers. (Probably wrong decision but 'F' it)
    Have them unloaded and ready to try tonight.

Have about 15 bags of FSU left from the October HD buy for warmer days/nights.
    Next pay check I'll get an Oil tank fill (about $600 by then) and I'll be just about set for the year.
    ---Nailer---

2. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

If I’m not ready to fill my tank due to oil market spike, budget or otherwise, I’ll grab a couple of 5 gallon cans of diesel and pour it in the tank to get me by. I pay the road tax but if I’m able to get 150-200 gallons later for $.10-15 less per gallon, I end up on top in the end. I’m at about 1/4 of a tank now and I’m considering using that strategy in the near future... I use HO primarily for domestic hot water. Have 4x5gallon cans just in case I need them. Should have filled up at $1.88 when I had the chance but only got 150 gallons...

CleanFire, IHATEPROPANE and slvrblkk like this.
  3. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

That's pretty much my motto too :rofl: :lol:

4. Nomoredinojuice

Nomoredinojuice

Nailer I don think you can go wrong with Hamers , even for 150 twice. Enjoy the heat.

CleanFire, jtakeman and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  5. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

So last night I did a fairly simple comparison between the FSU's and the Hammers
    I have a Fluke Multimeter with Temperature readings on it and a thermocouple bud to plug into it.

I curled the T-couple wire around and put the "ball" into my #2 heat exchanger tube. Made sure the sensor was in air stream not on metal.
    I had about 1/4 of a hopper of FSU's burning and the MM reading was 135-155 Deg F until it was burned off (Scooping pellets to middle to burn 99% of them)
    Once the FSU's were gone I filled up with the Hammers and let it run a few hours (Watched No Country for Old Men).
    Without moving the probe from when the FSU's were burning I was getting MM readings of 130-155 Deg F. Basically the same.

Think I might be regretting not getting the EZ-Blaze
    ---Nailer---

will711, ttdberg, CleanFire and 3 others like this.
  6. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

The price difference might not justify the potentially additional BTU's that EZB may or may not have. Let's say the Hamer's are 8000 btu and the EZB are 8600....does that additional 600 BTU's justify the $50 difference in price? I have no f'in clue :rofl: :lol:

7. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

Suck part is the EZ-Blaze and the Hammers were the same price. $300 a ton.
    Oh Well, Knew I shoulda gone soft. :hair:
    ---Nailer---

slvrblkk, jtakeman and ttdberg like this.
  8. will711

will711

Interesting experiment , just for chits and giggles I would pick up a couple of bags of the high end designer softies and do the same thing and see what happens you may be the new Myth Buster :whistle::whistle:

PelletHound, jtakeman and slvrblkk like this.
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Always wanted to start a thread were each member compare brand x to brand y in there perspective stoves. Temps will not likely be consistent. But we should get a good clue on which might have a bit more umph??

I just happen to have some FSU in the hopper.......... :whistle: And my next door neighbors happens to have a fresh batch of Hamers.......... Hmmmmm.

10. pell it

pell it

:popcorn:

11. imacman

imacman

I probably would have gone for more FSU's....they always burned good for me.

12. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

All you need now Jay is some kind of Temp sensor/display. I have had the Fluke for years and the thermocouple found its way into my pocket from a few companies ago. :p.

The Hammers are burning well just not as hot as I would have expected.
    Suppose I should adjust the damper for max efficiency using the magnahelic gauge.
    It is reading the same ~.25 inches H2O with both brands but didn't adjust for either. That is on Heat level 3.
    I set the damper back in October (.17 inches H2O) with some leftover FSU's from last year. Heat level 5 for 1 hour.
    On the Cast M-55 it is a PITA to get to the damper rod (under a cast side panel)

So we'll see, if I get some free time.
    ---Nailer---

13. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Still got the old Omega from way back. ;)

PelletHound, Luneyburg and slvrblkk like this.