In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A Month with my Fiskars

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Jeremy Anthon, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Jeremy Anthon

Jeremy Anthon

Back in March I got the x27 and the 8lb splitting maul. Been using both on mostly red oak (kinda twisty stuff for this particular tree). I've found that I need to use the maul on a lot of it until I get splits about 6 to 8 inches which can get tiring after a couple rounds. Saying that tho, the x27 is waaaaay better than my Kobalt splitting axe from Lowes (which was pretty good at splitting actually, but I could tell an immediate difference with the x27).

So far I haven't seen any signs of the handle weakening or cracking and between myself, the wife, and my buddy we've had a few mis-strikes that have landed right on the handle just before the head. I've seen a few posts about Fiskars with broken handles or not getting a response from the company on the warranty/replacement so I hope they are doing ok, both products seem very well made and I like them.

Oh and I bought mine through HomeDepot online and had them shipped to my house (couldn't find anything in the local stores). They came pretty quick too, like less than a week.

Anywho, that's my first month with the axes. I'll let yall know if I see any issues as I get to use them more.

bonus pics of the x27 with the excited boy

axe and boy.PNG

2. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

How is hand shock on the Fiskar's ?

I have always been a Hickory handle guy, so I haven't tried one. I have a few axes I use but after going through a progression of splitting tools, my favorite is an old used 8 pound splitting maul head from Ebay, that takes a single bit ax handle instead of a round one, so the handle is shaped somewhat like your Fiskar's. But if the wood splits easy, I still prefer a good double bit 4 lb Plum ax I have.

I may give the fiskar's a try one of these days, as I do like the shape of the head.

3. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Some have mentioned more shock through the Fiskars but I certainly have had no issues that I've noticed.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I have the X27 and the Isocore...almost never any shock at all...certainly never bad enough to give a second thought for sure...

5. Jeremy Anthon

Jeremy Anthon

Yeah never much any shock for me to notice it.

6. RobGuru

RobGuru

No hand shock for me either. Just finishing up some 24+ inch red oak rounds. Does a better job on that versus my maul. Liking the results very much.

7. RGrant

RGrant

I received the x27 for Christmas. It's fine and works well, but it didn't change my life.
    I have used a few different splitting mauls and I think my favorite is the Collins 8 pound maul, but I use the Fiskars from time to time just to change it up.

I'll probably change my mind back and forth a few times every year.

If you find one on sale I'd say grab it, but I don't think I'd climb over a mountain to go get one.

8. PatrickNY

PatrickNY

I just ordered the X27 tonight. (Amazon, $59). Will report back.

9. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I split like 45+ cord with the x27. It's awesome. No issues with the handle, no shock. It tends not to get stuck because of its wedge profile. I like the length and the weight because you can really whip it if you need to. Otherwise it's mostly just striking where I want to when I want to and that is the best part. If I chip it by hitting metal or a rock or something I'll touch it up with the bastard file and the honing stone but otherwise it just works and works every time.

I take spruce or in sap, especially when I find the gooey yellow pockets after a split is exposed and rub that all over the handle. I also use hockey tape on the bottom half of the handle to get a little more grip since I wear gloves when splitting. The sap doesn't last very long but I also love the smell.

Hard to beat the x27 for the price.

10. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Here's me talking about my thought process while splitting a dense piece of beech.

11. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

LordOfTheFlies looks like some pretty stubborn beech there. I think I’d go with the ISO Core it.

LordOfTheFlies likes this.
  12. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Jeremy Anthon you'll like your Fiskars tools better every time you use them. I had a warrant claim a year or two ago and they honored it just fine. Hope that hasn’t changed .!

Ronaldo likes this.
  13. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I don't like the isocore. I like the feel of the x27 better and it's easier to swing. Any tougher than that beech and I use the isocore sledge and wedge.

Jeremy Anthon and Dakota Hoarder like this.