In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

9mm for small older woman with small hands and....

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by wildwest, Jan 26, 2020.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

A few fingers fused at the joints. She has a S&W revolver and a 9mm Glock, is trained and practiced on both of them but now older and a recent widow, fingers don't work as well since the fusing (seriously, a couple do not bend at all, she has a stand for her blow dryer to fix her hair etc..), having trouble with slide and revolver kickback.

I'd trade her my Colt 1903 but that is not up for giving....... And I could not handle either of her two to trade anyway.

She mentioned an "easy slide" would be better but honestly neither of us are very knowledgeable and I'd appreciate suggestions.

Thanks!~

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. Horkn

Horkn

Ruger sr9, or the new ec9 or security 9.

Smith and Wesson m&p 9mm compact 2.0
    Taurus G2s

There's a lot of choices. How my does she want to spend?

3. blacktail

blacktail

Does it have to be a 9mm? Beretta made pistols with a tip up barrel just for people with limited hand strength, but I think the .380 Cheetah was the biggest.
    If she can manipulate her revolver but has trouble with the recoil, then reduced recoil ammo might help. Hornady and Federal both offer reduced recoil self defense loads. Or a revolver in a smaller caliber like .32 might be the ticket.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    FatBoy85, Beetle-Kill, Horkn and 8 others like this.
  4. blacktail

blacktail

Beretta Cheetah 06848ca54f8dc56d4b555f0dc1860ff6.jpg

FatBoy85, Beetle-Kill, Horkn and 8 others like this.
  5. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Smith & Wesson just came out with an M&P EZ in 9mm that is super easy to manipulate the slide. Check them out. They have a pretty full size grip too.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

6. Marvin

Marvin

This was gonna be my suggestion as well. blacktail gave a good option too. .380 ammo is a lot better than it used to be so cant be counted out.

I will be curious to see what she decides :popcorn:

7. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

I'm assuming this is for home defense? If so my suggestion is below.

I'll weigh in here with a slightly different solution. I've set several elderly friends and family up with a .410 shotgun when pistols have become too much to manage.

For women a youth .410 like the Mossberg 510 mini pump is pretty hard to beat.

There are several factors that make a small shotgun ideal for home defense for your friend:

-Probably more accurate
    -probably easier for her to handle/manipulate
    - 3" slug will outperform most over the counter. 9mm/.40 s&w rounds
    I could go on but these are the main advantages.

Shotguns aren't as easy to store or conceal. Which can be a problem as the reccomend storage location for home defense is not the bedroom but somewhere close to the front door.

See this American rifleman article for a more in depth look at the platform for home defense. These are not your grandfathers .410's they are purpose built for the job at hand and perform very well:

Loading Mossberg .410 Shotguns for Home Defense

8. chris

chris

dang lawyer triggers on a lot of the small autos make them almost impossible to use.

9. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Is she going to carry or something for home defense?

10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you for all the suggestions!

No, it does not need to be a 9mm, I guess I was just going off what her and my Dad had..... and she was practiced on and still has. Yes, a smaller caliber would be fine, actually better.

Regarding the
    , yes it's for home defense. Forgive my limitations but I was trained for 20 years when WWW went out of town on his goose gun and I am quite comfortable with it, as well as if there was an intruder I bet she could get that pump action done! That said, she keeps the guns in her bedroom at night and carries her 9 when she goes out... She recently got new locks on some windows so she feels safer, but she's alone for the first time in a few decades, now older, and the fingers thing and I really feel for her :confused:

Thank you Ronaldo, she did mention an EZ slide, another reason I mentioned 9mm but after reading all this I'm leaning towards a smaller caliber too,

Sorry to report, a new gun for her is on hold. They bought a new house last summer and sold their home of 20 years, home inspection done in April, they moved in July. The windows I mentioned she had better locks installed on are in her basement, she's been down there every day since Oct 8 to check (She has new window well covers as of last week and feels a bit safer!), but also has been eyeing the furnace and noticed a crack in it. She's been unbelievably tired and her dog as well. Guess what,? Carbon monixide. So she had the furnace replaced and now trying out how to keep up with the payment plan now that she is living on 1/2 the income since her husband died. UGG, she went for more blown in insulation in the attic too, a guy fell through, insulation everywhere and she's getting asthma attacks :(

Proud of her doing this yesterday though, to save more drywall damage and insulation blowing around, atta girl!! (drywall subcontracted by HVAC company fixing it for her today).

She said she'll be okay with her and my Dad's guns until she has a minute to breathe and figure out her budget.

Yes, I was strong with her about additional CO detectors for the upstairs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

She carries her's (yes, they're licensed for CC in Colorado) but she leaves my Dad's revolver at home. Both are within her reach at any time at home. Well, either are within her reach.

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

ironpony , do you know about home inspections and how long they are good for? She has too much on her plate at the moment and not persuing it but I certainly will if the statute of limitations covers it. Inspection April, moved in July, she discovered the crack in furnace in Jan, so 8-9 months. Inspector did not confirm blown in attic insulation either, just checked off "good" though the HVAC that came said it was way too low and even missing in some places.

13. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Home inspectors have almost no culpability...You may be able to get his fee returned if you're lucky, but otherwise you will most likely be Chit out of luck. This being said, I hope I am wrong.

14. Horkn

Horkn

I agree with this sentiment. Inspectors are pretty useless.

15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Inspectors here you only get fee back if proven it was negligent.. Home inspection is really a scam It’s required to get a mortgage but the inspection certificate is a 180 question test that anybody with common sense can pass

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks for the responses and letting me know about useless inspections, she doesn't have it in her anyway to pursue the inspection fee, and likely not worth the couple hundred dollars for the time anyway even if she did get the fee back. SO interesting to me, my father raised me as independent, not afraid to speak my mind and etc. His wife and I have become much closer since he died and I'm realizing he took care of so many things (unlike he raised me, his daughter). But she's getting it done. Basement window lock installers broke her back gate, made a call and they said they will fix it:yes: Insulation company's drywall subcontractor (insulation company fell through her living room ceiling) left giant chunks of wet mud all over her front door patio steps that dried before she saw it and could not get it off, she called them on it too, and they scraped it off for her :yes: I have a CO monitor for her when I see her next weekend and a couple brand new smaller fire extingquishers (light enough for her to handle).

Where can we practice how to use the fire extinquishers? Meeting at a restaurant in old downtown, all asphalt and buildings. Park? Any suggestions? Mag Craft ?

17. chris

chris

rather than blowing a ton of money use a pressurized garden spayer for the basics. Those ABC ones are filled with a yellow powder ( forget name)- it is corrosive to just about everything under the sun and in an enclosed area will take hours to settle back out of the atmosphere, cleanup require Hepa filters. I do not think they even make the old Soda ash ones anymore. co2 are only good for limited use. they will snuff the flames and cool ignition source a bit. after that point and re-ignition occurs you are sol. Had a very small fire in shop on vertical mill couple 1/2 sec bursts from an abc put it out completely but it was 4 hours before I could go back into shop of 2000 sq ft. and everything was coated with that powder. Friend had a cottage that was broken into. The perps sprayed the whole place down with a pair of abc powder units. Every appliance and any thing electrical had to be replaced due to the corrosive nature of it.

18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Well crud, I just googled and the fire extinguishers I bought for her are ABC.

Chazsbetterhalf, Horkn and yooperdave like this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I called the fire Dept where I meet her for lunches and scheduled an appt for fire extinguisher training for us next week:) Edit, she messaged me back, we are confirmed for training :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  20. yooperdave

yooperdave

This time last year when I almost pulled the trigger on a different residence, I considered a home inspection of the dwelling.

Spoke with the building inspector for recommendations and that's where it came out that there are no guarantees of their results; meaning they can be wrong and not held responsible...…….