In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

2nd stove advise

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by thebigo, Oct 9, 2019.

1. thebigo

thebigo

We installed a freestanding accentra in our 2000 sq ft house in 2011. We have not used a drop of oil to heat the place since, the oil boiler does burn about 200 gal/year for hot water. Nobody other than myself has touched the stove since install, it has been a perfectly sized reliable machine. We burn 150 bags per year of whatever henry mcmanus has cheap in the spring: north country/spruce pointe/platinums.

We are adding a 26' x 26' great room with vaulted ceiling. The room is located at the opposite end of the house from the stove. I was originally thinking of moving the accentra to the addition and adding an allure where the accentra sits now but think that may be overkill. Best guess, the accentra will keep up on all but the coldest days.

Does anyone offer a small stove for firing on the coldest days only? I dont care if it is manual fire, it is only going to run when we are home.

IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  2. Rich250

Rich250

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    IHATEPROPANE and Thor like this.
  3. imacman

imacman

IHATEPROPANE, Thor and Rich250 like this.
  4. Rich250

Rich250

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  5. thebigo

thebigo

IHATEPROPANE and Rich250 like this.
  6. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

I like your first option of moving the Accentra and getting an Allure to replace it. If you want to go smaller, maybe consider picking up a P43 (new or used, whatever you prefer) it really is great little stove.

IHATEPROPANE and Rich250 like this.
  7. Rich250

Rich250

No it is not made in the US , made in china distributed in the US by Ardisam
    12327 STOVE SERENITY
    If your concerned with it being made in the US because you don't want an imported stove that's fine. If your concerned with it being made in the US do to quality , that you don't have to worry about. Serenity is a awesome little stove for the price with great customer service.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    IHATEPROPANE and ttdberg like this.
  8. imacman

imacman

IHATEPROPANE and Thor like this.
  9. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Have you shopped Craig's list ?????

There can be some great deals on used equipment (Be sure your locality will allow installing used stoves)

The cost of a new stove can be pretty steep....

IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  10. thebigo

thebigo

Anyone have any thoughts on the sante fe?

Anyone went from cleaning a harman to a quad? Regrets?

IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  11. bogieb

bogieb

Although I haven't used a Quad, looking at the owner's manual, cleaning is very similar to the St. Croix Hastings that I had. The Hastings was a great stove, but I HAD to empty the ash pan every week and pull the baffles every two weeks (minimum) for cleaning. Then the air path had to be cleaned (which is thru little doors behind the baffle), and there is a pull rod to clean the air warming tubes that sometimes got cocked and was a turkey to get straighten again so it would work.

It was a lot more work than the Harman P61a I have in the basement, so I jumped at the chance to buy a used P43 and replace the Hastings.

That being said, if you don't anticipate needing to use it often, and it won't be the main heater, then none of the above really makes much of a difference.

IHATEPROPANE, ttdberg and Thor like this.