In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

25 pah blown fuse

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Dr.Faustus, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Dr.Faustus

Dr.Faustus

Ok so englander 25 pah. maybe 2 years old. well maintained stove, cleaned weekly, by me.
    sitting here tonight and its cruising along on 1. its connected to an APC smart UPS. all of the sudden, poof, stove goes dead. I look and the fuse is blown. Before i replaced the fuse, i connected direct power to the combustion blower, the convection blower and the auger motor and all worked without a hitch. Inspected all wires i could see for signs of arcing/abrasion and i found nothing, not even a melted connector. at the time the fuse blew, the ignitor was not on. Unable to find the problem, i pulled the fuse out of my 25 pdvc and transplanted it to the pah. Stove is now on and working completely normal for an hour.

Any ideas what happened?

No power flickers and even if there was, the apc kicks on instantly.

2. Rich250

Rich250

Fuses weaken over time so maybe it just hit it's breaking point and popped, If the stove is still working and not blowing fuses I wouldn't be concerned at this point.

slvrblkk, jtakeman, imacman and 2 others like this.
  3. imacman

imacman

I agree with Rich250....it happens. I had the fuse on my house gas furnace pop last spring for no reason. Service tech could find no reason. Popped new fuse in, good ever since.

slvrblkk and jtakeman like this.
  4. Dr.Faustus

Dr.Faustus

I think the reason showed itself last night. couldnt get the stove to ignite. ran fine when manually ignited. igniter reads open on ohmeter. connected to 120v on its own just to check it. nothing. possibly it shorted itself open, blew the fuse and the next fuse didnt blow because it was now open? anyway, some extra fuses are ordered and so is a genuine ignitor. I hope the tube isnt warped, i cant get it out of the sleeve. no problem i can cut the back of the igniter and get it out the other way but i hope its the igniter that is warped and not the sleeve.

slvrblkk, jtakeman and imacman like this.
  5. Dr.Faustus

Dr.Faustus

25-pah cruising away with borrowed fuse. waiting for new igniter to show up plus some extra fuses. I finally decided to pull the trigger on the LgRED whole house ducted central heat pump and AC. Should have it right after thanksgiving. Several reasons - all these years we relied solely on pellet stoves for heat. Getting older and window AC's are not as easy to heft around, plus the space crunch.

Still going to run pellets all through the heating season but this will sure help even out the house and reduce the stress on the stoves. I'm having it set up so i can run the air handler on its own and circulate the house air that got heated by the stove. Also we have 42 solar panels now, a heat pump water heater and no electric bill since install.