In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

2 birds just flew out of the Harman’s Selkirk DT pellet venting. Oh-No!

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Mar 26, 2020.

1. don2222

don2222

I just got the bird nest out! It was a PITA, I could not pull it out and more of a pain to take the vacuum cleanout off to push it out.
    Therefore I went with the leaf blower behind the ash pan trick and blew the crap out! LOL
    Then I found a 3” bird cap that slid right in there nice and snug! Bingo All fixed and easy to slide out for cleaning!
    That may be better than the OEM screen that pins on. Bigger mesh so not as much maintenance too!
    See OEM screen in last 2 pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Screwloose likes this.
  2. bogieb

bogieb

If birds built a nest in there at this time of year, someone hasn't been using their stove enough :)

Earl764 and Screwloose like this.
  3. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

"GAHHHH! My stove is broken! I paid alot of money for this P.O.S! Get out here NOW and fix it! "

............oh...........

4. don2222

don2222

LOL
    It is just the garage stove I use sometimes for backup. I never had a birds nest in it and I had it for at least 5 years. This year is different?

bogieb and Screwloose like this.
  5. don2222

don2222

LOL
    I got this used for $225.00 so I do not expect much but it has never let me down because it is a well kept Harman P61a. :)

bogieb and Screwloose like this.
  6. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Birds in the stove pipe can be a problem.....whats worse.....BEES

Years ago my mother called me to come down and listen to her stove....it was making a HUMMMMMMMMING SOUND :bug:

I went out and watched the stack (Direct vent up and out the wall)
    Hornets had set up house keeping during a warm spell while the stove was off.

I looked in the glass and there were a buttload of the little critters in the fire box.

Mom was all worried and wringing her hands ....

No worries...turn up the stat and problem solved BEES become BTU'S

Tough to keep those little critters out.

7. don2222

don2222

Wow
    How did you get rid of them, fire up the stove?

Screwloose likes this.
  8. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

yep...bees are bad.....try bunnies! We had one stuff where we had a call in which the unit wouldnt feed. Asked the owner if they had cleaned the unit. Of course! Clean enough to eat off of....thats not the problem. Went out, and found that a tee, close to grade, had its bottom cap rust out (yea, Simpson....), and baby bunnies had made a home in there! Customer didn't realize pipe also had to be cleaned.....

imacman and bogieb like this.
  9. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Yuuuuppppppppp...turned up the stat and within a few moments the fire was starting up and the bees were turning into flaming little balls.

One cycle and the bee issue was gone.

If your stove is cold and Hummmmmmming...do not open the door....:hair:

bogieb likes this.
  10. don2222

don2222

I worked on a 25-PDV stove in a trailer home. The 3” duravent went straight out onto the back deck and then up about 3 feet. The cleanout Tee was all rotted and close to the deck floor. The customer was very conserned. So I went over all the options and she went with the Selkirk DT with the vertical rise inside behind the stove! My assistant Barbara and I spent all day on the installation including painting the pipe black because the black pipe was double the price!
    Then she even found a company that fixed the old pipe hole vinyl siding to blend in some pieces so it matched exactly!
    I was there and met the guy who matched the vinyl siding and he said they do small jobs like this because it is the best advertising! I thought it could not be done but seeing is believing!
    It came out amazing and the ash stays so fluffy now because the incoming burn air is warmer and dryer the stove is a dream to clean especially with the vacuum cleanout!
    It is amazing what can be done if people want to!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    bogieb likes this.