In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

1986 vf 200

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by zymguy, Aug 7, 2020.

1. zymguy

zymguy

[​IMG]
    After a handshake in a bar months and months ago i finally got her home . Now I need to figure out how to get her in the house!!!
    Looks easy enough to take the fire brick out. Not sure it’s enough difference to matter tho ?
    None of my friends get excited about wood stoves , glad I’ve got the hoarders to celebrate with!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I don't know anything about that stove. But, I will say - giddy-up!

Good luck getting it safely fired up.

brenndatomu likes this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

It has 150# or so worth of bricks in it...still heavy with 'em out...but lighter none the less. Its not hard to take the blower box off...then remove the sheet metal jacket... that gives you 1/4" thick metal to deal with instead of trying to not damage the thin exterior sheet metal...that takes some more weight off, makes it smaller and less bulky too.
    If the nuts won't come loose for the firebrick retainers...you can take a torch (oxy/acetylene is best) and heat them up red hot...while they are red hot, take a wrench and carefully remove the nut...you may have to work it loose...rock it back and forth, heat it up again, should come off in 2-3 cycles of this (worst case scenario) Before you put them back on, wire brush the studs, then coat them with anti-seize...all the internal hardware is stainless steel, so anti-seize is highly recommended...stainless steel bolts/nuts LOVE to gauld up without anti-seize...and the best part is that it should come apart easily next time, because anti-seize has a high temp rating...even higher if you get nickel based anti-seize. I believe Lamppa started putting AS on when new in the last couple years...or include a small packet it...something like that anyways.

If the nuts still wont come off with heating (very rare) you can break some firebricks 0ut, then the whole firebrick retainer can be removed, bolts cut off, new stainless bolts welded on. The firebrick that Menards stocks in a 6 pack works fine then if you do need to replace some.
    Oh, and the retainer nuts do not need to be wrench tight when you go back together...having them finger tight allows the metal to expand/contract easier...things are gonna move, might as well let them...and its not like its gonna vibrate apart! ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  4. zymguy

zymguy

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brenndatomu likes this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

:tip:
    Congrats on the new to you Kuuma! :rootintootin:
    I assume you got a great deal on it...I would guess once they finally get the 2020 phase 2 testing done on the VF200 and get it back into production that the price will be close to $5k, or a maybe bit more with tax and shipping on it. :makeitrain"