In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

….and then he says “do you want some trees”

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sandhillbilly, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Last week I was helping the city maintenance guy fix a water leak when Russel stops by. We visited a little bit and he was wanting to make sure we knew about the water leak in the street by his house. We were aware of it. …. And then he says, “do you want some trees? I pushed over a few earlier this fall.” Of course my response was “probably, are they down south at your moms old home place?” (Knowing they’d be dead elms there)
    “No they’re at the next place on to the west, I think you’ve done some cutting in there before.”
    Me: “ yeah I’ve been there, I’ll take them if you’re not in too big of a hurry”
    Russel: “ nope, no hurry, whenever you get a chance.”

it was a beautiful day to be outside today and too late to start much of any project so I went to check it out. Had a couple saws with me to bring back a little bit of a load. It’s about 25 miles one way so the next trip will probably be 2 pickups and at least one trailer.
    He was at the ranch when I got there so we talked about what was what. “ just take the good stuff and we’ll clean up the rest someday” I also commented that It looks like there’s a bunch more at your moms home place again. “Go ahead and get any of that that you want too” F242A2EE-DBFA-4EEE-AE50-239CAF3FF07C.jpeg E6C6DDC9-9CA4-4F4C-8C62-3FA70C24E3F8.jpeg FA404850-E317-460B-9156-FA59AED43B63.jpeg B123115B-0F6F-4052-8808-CA137EE4AEDF.jpeg 70CE4256-3835-4735-BD39-8CDE9E3DAEB5.jpeg
    these pics are just from the west place.

2. Erik B

Erik B

That looks like a job where all you have to do is pull up, cut and load. Looks like a great score:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::saw::saw::axe::axe:

isaaccarlson, RCBS, Rope and 22 others like this.
  3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

My thought exactly. I love being able to park right next to the score. Looks like a decent amount too. Hoard on!!

4. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Pretty much
    I’ll still kinda bunch up and make piles of what I leave behind. But less cleanup than usual.
    I believe not leaving stuff scattered helps to get you invited back.
    Some years back I asked about cutting on a certain property, I reluctantly got the go ahead because some other people had been there the year previous and left limbs and brush scattered everywhere I guess. I have been there several times since- no problem

5. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Do you wanna come help? This stuff is good enough it just might change your perception of elm. I’ll go halves with you. Might still leave clinkers in your stove though

6. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

I agree with you 100 percent. I always leave stuff in a pile and don't leave stuff scattered all over. Even if they say it doesn't matter.

Most firewood people around here are cherry pickers. They roll in cut all small stuff, with their Home Depot saws and leave anything larger than about 18 inches it seems.

7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

More than willing to help saw that sh1t up, but when it comes time to split, I’ll split (on down the road, lol). Im surrounded/spoiled with much much better wood anyway. I’m up to my ears right now in chestnut oak, and a good bit of black and honey locust. With hitters like that, elm is no where near my radar.

Chaz, brenndatomu, Bill2 and 13 others like this.
  8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Yep, me too. I go a bit above what’s needed just because I feel it’s the right thing to do. Typically it’s out of gratitude for giving me fuel to keep my house warm.
    And the second point is also true, which is why I saw up the monsters. Not many can or will.

Ron T, Chaz, brenndatomu and 12 others like this.
  9. Dok440

Dok440

That looks like fun! Not a lot of brushy stuff to deal with, flat land and you can park right next to it? I'm envious!

10. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

Cleaning up the last persons' mess is what what I was dragging around today. I don't understand how some folks can be so ungrateful.

Mr. Roger stopped today and told me not to worry about moving stuff around, but I moved it anyway, simply out of gratitude. Less for him to mess with, regardless of whether or not he has tractors that make it easy. I never want him to worry about me being out there.

11. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I understand completely, but it is about as good as it gets around here. I would love to have more variety of good stuff to choose from but I ain’t gonna trade my elbow room for it

although I think I might have found a potential black locust honey hole a while back. Maybe 30 miles one way but it’ll be worth it if’n it pans out, and it’s as good of wood as y’all say. And if buZZsaw BRAD don’t sniff it out on the next south west breeze and beat me to it

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    John D, JDU, Cash Larue and 12 others like this.
  12. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I’m starting to find myself leaving behind more of the littler stuff than I used to and having fun with the bigger stuff.

John D, Cash Larue, Chaz and 11 others like this.
  13. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

Black locust is better than the oaks. It's even a touch better than honey locust, which is equal to oaks.

John D, Cash Larue, Chaz and 7 others like this.
  14. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

I go after the big stuff first. That's where the yields are. I get a kick out of seeing how many pieces come off of a 3 to 4 foot diameter round. The small stuff is the last to come home, because it's the most time consuming for me.

I also like to do the opposite of what the cherry pickers do, so it may help put property owners' minds at ease sooner.

John D, Cash Larue, Chaz and 11 others like this.
  15. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I agree with every word. :handshake: :cheers:

Chaz, brenndatomu, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

WOW! Nice score there my friend. Right up your alley. Cant beat being able to drive right up to it. Kinda getting spoiled with that myself. How much you thinking is there? Is it all elm?

Cash Larue, Chaz, brenndatomu and 8 others like this.
  17. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

All elm
    Most of it will probably go to the shop at work, gotta try out the new splitter he just bought. No idea how much there is to be had between both places, a couple cords anyway I’m a guessing

18. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sweet score there. No worries about elm here. If handled right I like it as well as oak.

Chaz, brenndatomu, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  19. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

image.jpg The small load I got while scouting the score last night. Should have been more but ran out of daylight

WinonaRail, Cash Larue, Chaz and 17 others like this.
  20. Horkn

Horkn

Honey locust may be a tad lower BTU wise than black locust, but aside from live oaks, there's no oak that is better than locusts, even HL Splitting wise, oak splits easier/ better, but I'll take any of these woods.

Next year I have a decent amount of red oak in the stacks, but I always have locust in my stacks. I love the variety. I'll go out of my way to correct different species as burning all the same kind of wood all season is boring. This year, there's a lot of ash in my stacks.

Cash Larue, Chaz, brenndatomu and 7 others like this.