In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

May retire a few saws

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Hoytman, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

Was thinking of retiring a few saws and getting one or two new ones. The saws in question are in tip top shape for their age and the 4+decades worth of wood we’ve put on them...

... an 041 Farm Boss roughly 38-40+years old if I had to guess...
    ... and an S10.

Aside from that I’ve ran several Stihl saws, 036’s, 029’s, 066’s, and an 088. Haven’t run anything newer than those and was wondering what was new that was comparable...041-046 size these days.

It’s just not worth it to me to run my older saws in their great condition still, and the fact I got used to running more modern saws with a chain brake on them and it’s just hard to go back.

In reality a saw similar to the old 041 is plenty of saw for my needs and for most other people’s if they’re familiar with it. Then, I’d like a smaller and newer limb saw as well. No more than 18”-20” bar on the bigger saw. Don’t plan on cutting anything that big, but a saw similar to the 041 I still have power to spare if for some reason I need a bigger bar.

Recommendations welcome. Not afraid of Husky’s just not that familiar for comparison.

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

3. Hoytman

Hoytman

:rofl: :lol:... Eric you sure aren’t very optimistic.:D

I didn’t ask for the best, but comparable. You must not think the responses will be that promising.

Well...there’s my sign.:D

T.Jeff Veal, Gasifier, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

No sir.
    “Eating Popcorn” can mean “I’d like to see what other folks will offer.”
    There isn’t always a negative context tied to certain smileys. :salute:

5. M2theB

M2theB

If willing to consider Orange, 372xp or 572 Xp. A little smaller but lots of pull a 562XP and for a smaller saw, my favorite stock saw, a 550XP.
    I don’t have a 72, but I’m saving for one. The other two I have and they are worth it.
    Good luck!

6. farmer steve

farmer steve

Being partial to stihls I say a 461( they are being discontinued) or a 462. I run a 20" bar on mine and plenty of power to spare if I would have to put on a 25" bar. The antivibe is nice for this old fart. Weight without bar and chain is a tad over 13 lbs. I'm sure the 041 is much heavier.
    EDIT; 041 is over 16lbs.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Isn't papadave a big fan of echo with 5 year consumers warranty..

8. papadave

papadave

Nope, not me. Must be one of the many other Daves. :handshake:
    I have a Huskvarna 455 Rancher. Only saw I've ever had.

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Your right I know Gasifier has one an echo saw

Gasifier, farmer steve and papadave like this.
  10. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea echo is good but that timberwolf I think it's called...the 590 maybe is a 60cc class saw over 10cc under a 460 Stihl.

I would also agree if you can still get a husky 372xp grab it. There going to get phased out if not already. I think the 572 is out now! As for Stihl the 461 and 462 is the same size as the 046. Plenty of power for a 29" and 25" and with skip I know it can run a 32"

Smaller Stihl. If just for limbs get a cheapo homeowner saw the ms170/1. Or you could go expensive and get the ms262 and it would run an 18" bar fine even for light firewood duty.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

11. tamarack

tamarack

Modern day equivalent to an 041 would be an echo cs680. Kinda heavy but loads of torque and very durable. I know this is one of echoes less popular models, but I have seen them be ran like a rented mule and with little maintenance and just keep running.

brenndatomu, clemsonfor and Gasifier like this.
  12. Gasifier

Gasifier

I own an Echo CS680. If I remember right it is 67.6cc. I have a 20” and a 24” bar for it. Plenty of power for me. So far so good. A little heavy, but I also own an Echo CS361P with a 14” bar for the smaller stuff. Nice light saw. And I have an old Earthquake with a 16” bar. I have and will still considered buying the Echo 590 for the in between stuff. That saw would probably handle most of what I do now. There are times when I am working and say the hell with this. It’s time to get some chit done! And break the 680 out. With a sharp chain that saw is an animal.

13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I know what you mean. I use my MS650 most of the time. It's an 85cc saw. It's heavy yes, but each cut doesn't take that long to make and your done twice as fast almost as a 50cc saw.

I also have two of those earthquakes. I take them to the farm, strapping them on the trailer so I don't worry that people are looking at my $1000 saw. I can be rougher with it, it's light, I have the 32 and 45cc ones. There actually decent saws and I paid $35 ish dollars for then basically new maybe fueled once or just returned, whatever the reason was with min? They all ran fine. Some literally new. I have more than a half a dozen of them through my hands. Sold most.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

14. Locust Post

Locust Post

I am a husqvarna fan and have cut lots of cords with my 455 & 20" bar. I wanted a bigger saw (wanted not needed) Just couldn't bring myself to spend what the bigger Husqvarna was. Stumbled on a smoking good deal on an Echo 620p with a 24" bar from Forestry products.

15. AJtree88

AJtree88

I’d wait a bit on the big saw and get an MS500I when they come out. I bought one from overseas and it’s a wonderful saw! Starts easy, great power and very lightweight. Starts one pull when hot and stays primed for a long time. This saw is fuel injected and revs out better than any saw ever made IMO.

As for something smaller, a ms261 would probably be my choice. I have a husky 550xp and it cuts great for it’s size, but it has hot start issues. I just bought a 572xp and it doesn’t like to start one pull when hot either. My 562xp is almost always a one puller though. It’s hard for me to recommend a husky at this time; stihl has caught up to them in comfort, weight and power recently, all while being more refined.

16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I have heard good things about the MS 462, but if you don't want to spend that kind of money, get the MS362, great power to weight ratio. I have one, run 25" bar full time on it. After several years using it stock, had Kevin ( huskihl ) work his magic in it. It pulls a 28" bar with semi-skip chain like a boss. He also did our 029, it does great with a 20" and will do fine with the 25" bar.

17. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Depends on your budget. Most seem to agree that a good 2 saw plan is a 50cc saw and a 70cc saw. If you are strictly using your smaller saw for limbing you can definitely get by with a smaller lighter saw. For me I end up doing a lot of bucking (up to 12” or so) with my limbing saw so 50cc is the best fit.

Not considering budget Id go with a 462 and a 261. Considering budget I’d look for nice used saws in the 50-70cc range.

18. gmule

gmule

A6ECA4AF-8BBA-4583-A02B-B1BE8EB90114.jpeg I absolutely love my MS261c light weight and has good power for a 50cc saw

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I would go with a MS261 like Dakota Hoarder & gmule stated. Just bought a new one and havent used it yet. Waiting for the right time to take her virginity i guess. Light weight and good power to weight ratio for a 50cc saw. It'll wear a 20" bar not so much to buck bigger wood but to save the old back from bending. A bit pricey at $600 MSRP. Decent used $300-400 if on a budget.