In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Get after it

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Breechlock1, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Breechlock1

Breechlock1

6 full truck loads

3 ash
    3 oak

Attached Files:

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Nice work Breechlock1 , is the ash in your area getting hit by EAB yet?

Woodsnwoods, Felter, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  3. Breechlock1

Breechlock1

For about last 12 years

Woodsnwoods, JoeinO, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

North of us in our county has EAB which they think came from Canada so the power company up here is taking down any ash near the power lines.

Some areas started taking down ash a few years back because of safety concerns down the road once EAB hit.

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

What a waste of time and dollars. So many areas have tried to stop the borers but all have failed. As for the safety concerns, I too worried a bit about that but we've had numerous trees fall along roadways in this area and to my knowledge, no harm has been done except to temporarily slow the traffic a bit.

6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

7. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

In my region they aren't taking them down to try and stop the EAB. They are taking them down so the wood can be used as lumber and at worst firewood. I couple state parks are clearing them out and selling them to mills. Its a few bucks the parks can use to make improvements or help offset funding deficiencies.

8. Yawner

Yawner

Are they doing 'selective cutting,' only removing the ash, or taking everything while they're at it? Forestry practices around here are such that clearcutting seems the only method these days!

Felter, Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and 2 others like this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Now that is great!

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I wouldn't call keeping trees off powerlines a waste of money, those same people who think it's a waste would be the first to bitch when the power goes off because of a fallen tree.

The places (towns & one small city) that have taken the ash down did for the safety of the citizens, that's not a waste of money.

The power company has put a bunch of money in new lines,poles and trimming back any of the trees underneath or near the lines in our area, in my opinion it's well worth the money.

11. Backwoods Savage

There lies one of the big problems. The power companies are not at all interested in keeping trees of power lines. Perhaps it is different out there and I hope so. 1

jo191145, Midwinter, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  12. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

They are using heavy equipment so under brush and saplings are taking a beating. I didn't see it before they started, but once they are done an area there is a good amount of mature trees, mainly maples, oaks and hickories left to flourish.

13. jo191145

jo191145

They’re doing their best in my area. It’s a tight rope to walk. Take down too many trees and the people get mad. Don’t take down enough trees and the people get mad :)
    They’re also regulated by the legislature to a degree in my area. Before a rate hike they need permission (I think)
    So to pay for the expensive cleanup they need to charge the customers. I’m guessing they got permission because my bill went way up.
    What irks me is the power company does the lines on a state road and then the state comes behind them and knocks down everything. Makes no sense to have two outfits working the same trees.