In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Swing and a miss.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Ctwoodtick, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

We get the carpenter ants. My splitter starting is a noise my neighbors chickens love.. They free roam.. Show up.. Eat bugs and neighbor comes and walks them home...

Hellcat, Chaz, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  2. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

I’m not sure, I saw no actual insects. I never knew that the powder post beetles make the tunnels often seen with termites. Good to know. I’ll watch that pile overall for signs of issues. During the heating season, I keep a rack of firewood on the front porch raised off porch. I keep about 2 days of wood in a woodbox indoors. Hopefully, no issues arise with this or any other wood I have. I’m not too concerned.

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Usually you will find little dust piles after the beetles but I've seen a couple times when the dust was gone or almost gone. Not sure why.

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Powder Post beetles get in our oak, Hickory and pecan. They usually bore small hole into the logs, the termites we have usually follow the grain, eating the sifter wood between rings...