In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ Stihl MS 461

Discussion in 'Chain Saws' started by LodgedTree, Oct 5, 2016.

1. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

In a nut shell; a great no-nonsense chainsaw. I decided to wait a few weeks before giving a review on it and now have slogged through about 75 cord so I feel I should have a pretty good idea on what it can do and cannot do.

This is a bigger saw intended for bigger trees so it is on the heavier end of the spectrum. I harvest some big trees and yet do not think I need anything bigger then this. It hogs through big hardwoods and softwoods with plenty of brawn even if you take a touch too much off the rakers.

One of the things I do like is that it is a no-frills saw. It has a decompression button, but I have never used it, and it starts easy enough without it. Fuel capacity is high so that you can cut awhile before having to fill up, and with the chain oiler being adjustable, you can adjust it both for consumption and to what you are cutting. I tend to run it a bit heavy only because I do not use bar and chain oil and instead use cheap hydraulic oil. Some have said it gets incredibly good cords per gallon, but honestly I don't see a difference compared to my old Stihl 046. (Same size saw, just 22 years older).

I also run my saw with an 18 bar and was surprised at the shorter length. I use that because it gives you far more power, and yet it still is a very well balanced saw. Currently it is my only saw so it fells, limbs, bucks and works on the deck; and does all jobs admirably well. With more power, it does not get pinched as much either.

This is one of the last chainsaws in the Stihl stable to not have the servo controlled carburetor, and from the sale I got on it, suspect they are currently selling this model in anticipation of the new one. Having had an 1994 046 that lasted 22 years under extreme abuse, I am shy when it comes to drastic model changes. Since the other one was so reliable, its actually comforting to see not much has changed.

The minor issue I do have is with the chain brake. It is closer to the handle then the 046 and thus snaps on more often. Its not to the point of being obnoxious by any means, but I liked the 046 chain brake better. The only thing I really detest is the new gas and oil caps. Whoever decided loggers needed flip up grips on gas and oil caps should be executed. I never had an issue with the old caps and having gas and oil caps that were interchangeable among Stihl and Husqvarna both, was often nice. I have a lot of donor Husqvarna's...

As a side note, price wise, this saw was $1,023 out the door with a 18 inch bar. This was with a $100 sale, and came with an extended 2 year warranty if you bought a package of Stihl 2 stroke oil ($13). That was a no brainer.

Now I just need another for a spare! DSCN4292.JPG

PBunyan, Stlshrk, blacksmith and 14 others like this.
  2. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

I got this same saw two years ago, new. I have the same old school carb setup and I must say this is a great saw. I run a 20 inch bar routinely, but have a 28 inch sitting on the shelf just in case. Very light saw, cuts fast, and has not skipped a beat. Enjoy!

3. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I'm still running a 460 that I had MDAVLEE hot rod . I was running 36" bar with semi skip 3/8 Stihl 63 ga chain . Chisel ground with a 8 tooth sprocket. It will pull 34" of wood with authority. In spruce . With the max flow air filter. I was thinking that by spring I would get a 461 as I've not had one yet. Have had 1, 046 and 3 other 460s .
    It's great to read your review. Mirrors what I've heard elsewhere. I'm hoping to get a 461R . NOT liking what I've read about the new 660 with the computer.

T.Jeff Veal, Camber and mdavlee like this.
  4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Just ask the financial advisor sitting on the dozer...I'm sure she will approve the purchase....

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  5. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I actually call her my Domestic Supervisor in real life!

Sadly the Stihl MS 461 died a premature death when it was run over by my skidder. It was only 1 year old...RIP MS 461, you were a good saw despite your attempt to kill me (20 stitches to the forehead on March 27th 2017)

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

:jaw::jaw:, glad it wasn't worse, the head cut... Sorry about early demise of the saw too. Now your domestic supervisor will approve the new purchase.

7. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

You are a Christian so you will not think I am crazy, but that chainsaw accident was an answer to a prayer.

That morning I was struggling to get out a load of wood, and really fighting with fatigue. I had no idea what was going on, but I was so tired and it was only 9 AM! So as I was limbing a tree I prayed for God's strength to get the wood out that I needed, and then "boom"...on the next tree I woke up with blood everywhere. A spring pole had launched my saw into my forehead!

So I go to the hospital and the CAT scans taken to see if I had a concussion revealed I had a tumor on my brain and throat. It sent me down a long road of testing, but ultimately proved it was cancer, then to surgery, then confirmation my cancer was spreading.

Had it not been for my logging accident, I would have never known why I was so tired all the time (and still am).

PatrickNY and Monster80 like this.
  8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

GOD does answer our prayers in strange ways sometimes. Glad you found out about the tumor. How are you doing with the cancer now? Thanks for sharing your testimony...