In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trail/game camera

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Jon_E, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Jon_E

Jon_E

Hope you guys can give me some recommendations. I'm looking for a trail or game camera that can help me catch some dumpers - people that are dumping trash on a remote piece of property with limited monitoring. I need something that will provide a high-res photo, work day and night, need minimal attention, and save the photos to a card. I don't need to have it send photos to a phone or computer but it would be nice. This would be more of a security camera than a trail cam, but it will be out in the woods, attached to a tree and generally not checked more than once or twice a week. Any recommendations? I know little about these things, but in the meantime I'm going to try to educate myself on them.

RCBS, Camber, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Can't help but interested..

RCBS, Camber and Chvymn99 like this.
  3. Flamestead

Flamestead

RCBS, Camber, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Chaz

Chaz

I have a Primos Truthcam35 Ultra.
    It's on the lower end if the price spectrum, but works fine as a trail cam.

Can't remember the range on it though.

Batteries seem to last reasonably well, and it takes/requires an SD card.

RCBS, Camber and Chvymn99 like this.
  5. Camber

Camber

I have about 5 or so. To be honest I like my cheap cranova(Chinese), more than anything. I would look at cabelas. They had black flash cameras fir 69 bucks in the last flier. Good luck. Make sure you hide them well. People look for those things anymore.

RCBS, Chvymn99 and Chaz like this.
  6. Camber

Camber

One important piece of info that I wish I knew about......dont use 32G sd cards. For whatever reason, they mess up....honestly the 8 gig do just fine. Check them in stealth more often would be my advise. Sure wish I knew about the SD cards first. Good luck with catching them!

RCBS, Chvymn99 and Chaz like this.
  7. RCBS

RCBS

I have only owned two brands of cameras. A few years back, I had a Moultrie that used a 6 volt lantern battery. It was OK. Had a white flash and didn't have much resolution...got stolen eventually.

I was gifted a Browning Camera a few Christmases ago. I have bought two additional cameras from Browning since. They have just been great. The only issue I have seen is when temps get below zero (batteries the culprit, I think) it doesn't always work. Lithium may solve that issue.

Good learnin' here: Game & Trail Camera Reviews - Trail Cam Buying Guides-Trailcampro.com

For whatever reason, some cameras do not work with high storage cards. I think most will list card compatability in details of product. My cameras will run a 32gig, but I just use 16's.

Chvymn99, Chaz and Camber like this.
  8. Camber

Camber

I have also messed with a few different brands. All my cameras run on double A's now. My cameras work down to -40 now. (At least for a few days in a row anyway).

Chvymn99, RCBS and Chaz like this.
  9. bocefus78

bocefus78

Budget? This is an area where you truly get what you pay for imo. Ive ran cams for 15 years.

RCBS, Chaz and Chvymn99 like this.
  10. Jon_E

Jon_E

I'm not sure on budget. I'd think $500-$600 for a pair of cameras would probably be about it, though.

11. mywaynow

mywaynow

I am a dealer for Cuddeback now due to a new technology introduced last year. It is a secure camera for situations like yours. Cameras can send pictures through their own wireless network for distances over a mile. This allows you to store or receive pics away from the area of problem. You can have pics sent to email or received at a location with internet access that would allow uploading of pics through a google app for near real-time viewing. PM me if you want some numbers. I am using this system myself and it has been quite good.

milleo likes this.
  12. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

I just bought a stealth cam on sale, couldn't pass it up for 20 bucks, I put it up to see what's raiding my dogs feeder and second night I got this.

STC_0004.JPG

Chvymn99, imwiley1, Ronaldo and 3 others like this.
  13. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Jon_E I have two Stealth Cam STC-G45NG units that I bought for watching the one blind spot in our yard not covered by conventional security cameras. We were having a rash of thefts in the area. They seemed to work pretty well. Have an extended range setting and non visible flash. I never caught any thieves on camera but have lots of pics of Wif with the wheel barrow, Wif with the rake, Wif mowing the lawn. At night caught cats, raccoons and Possums'. I believe I paid around $130 apiece 2 years ago at Cabellas on sale.

stihl sawing and Chaz like this.