In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ Loading dump trailer

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by urbanlogger6387, Mar 14, 2018.

1. urbanlogger6387

urbanlogger6387

Hi all, I’m mulling over the idea of a dump trailer right now — I have been for quite a while. It would only be used to haul brush, rounds, firewood, and some big logs. I just went to the dealer to look at them and found myself a little worried about the deck height on these things. 29in seems to be standard. That seems really high to start loading wood. After a few rows you’ll be lifting it 5ft to stack it. Also, the sides are 2ft, which means if you’re loading brush from the side, you first have to lift it about 4’6”. That seems ludicrous after using utility trailers for the last couple years. For those of you that have used your dump trailers to haul wood and brush, how has your experience been loading them? Is the extra work lifting all that worth it in the end? Is there a trick to loading these? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. urbanlogger6387

urbanlogger6387

Needless to say, I will be loading everything by hand. It will be a very very long time before I have the luxury of a skid steer

3. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

Load your wood that way and it will warm you twice. (Where have I heard that before)

But what about an old tractor with a front end loader? They are way cheaper than a Bobcat. Look at my avatar.

4. Will C

Will C

I have seen lo-profile trailers before. Can't remember what brands but you should be able to find them-google Bri-Mar, Cam Superline , and any other manufacturers and you should be able to see some examples.

5. urbanlogger6387

urbanlogger6387

Storage is a serious problem. Any kind of loader just is not an option.

6. urbanlogger6387

urbanlogger6387

Yup. 29in is the low profile standard. I think 33ish is the standard for normal profile.

7. Brian72

Brian72

Just my opinion but I'm not a fan of high sides if it's all hand-loading. Maybe a tilt deck landscape trailer would be a better option. Not to mention, the dumps are pretty expensive. I haul mostly logs so I got an 18' equipment trailer and I'll add sides later if needed.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

urbanlogger6387 likes this.
  8. chris

chris

Been waffling between the dump and the landscape styles, just for something a little handier than my 5 ton equipment unit. neither are inexpensive, short comings that one needs to be aware of is where the lift is attached. when they are set in the middle of the bed - to much load at the head and you will not be able to lift. In that case a lot of money for no help.

9. urbanlogger6387

urbanlogger6387

You may be right, but the dumps can haul way more — I am in desperate need of more capacity when hauling. I’m just trying to gauge if the loading height is worthwhile trade off.

Brian72 likes this.
  10. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

If you look at this video, . he has a pretty ingenious creation to help load LARGE wood onto/in his trailer. Will work regardless the height off of the ground.

11. Brian72

Brian72

Understood. Pros and cons to each. Maybe see if you could rent one. For me, the high sides are more of a hindrance but others love them.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

12. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

My dump is 5' with the boards on it, heavy stuff I just load in the back or roll up a ramp. Lighter stuff just goes over the side.