In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

60 Minutes show on dogs / wolves

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Yawner, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Yawner

Yawner

Many of you love dogs, try to watch a repeat of this show from last week (late November 2022). It's about an evolutionary key (mutation) that they think allowed/caused dogs to evolve from wolves, and to seek humans, and wolves do not have this gene mutation.

FWIW, I am not only a dog lover but also a wolf lover and donate annually to charities that *try* to protect wolves. I am, in general, just a huge nature lover. The show is a pretty cool revelation, very interesting.

2. bogieb

bogieb

IDK if there is some sort of gene mutation or not. One would think that that has to happen, but researchers were surprised to find that foxes domesticate very easily (I'll let people do their own google searches, but an experiment in Russia proved it didn't take long, and there is some evidence that urban foxes in the UK are somewhat self domesticating). And, if there is a mutation involved, did that happen before or after dogs/wolves started finding humans handy at supplying food?

JimBear likes this.
  3. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I watched a program on this experiment. Its ongoing for over 50 years now. They bred the foxes that were not afraid or hostile towards humans with others with the same temperament and they are turning into dogs basically. Its pretty fascinating.

JimBear and bogieb like this.