In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Fireplace chimney’s

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Hoytman, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

There are still a few new homes occasionally being built with new “old school” fireplaces. (Not referring to Zero-clearance fireplaces or inserts, although some are built with those as well.)

One thing I’ve noticed is these fireplaces are still being built with masonry chimney’s. Particularly with clay liners.

It has occurred to me that I haven’t seen any new fireplaces being built using any stainless steel liners or adapters for liners. Haven’t even seen any such thing on forums or online retailers for such a build. Maybe this is because I wasn’t previously looking for it. I could have even missed it.

Perhaps this is because most fireplaces require much bigger flues and this might be the reason they’re still using clay. Maybe it’s because clay is cheaper and more readily available. Surely they make larger stainless steel liners to accommodate fireplaces and maybe some are even insulated.

Just something that crossed my mind and had me thinking about it.

2. Rich L

Rich L

Stop by one of these places and ask the builders why and let us know.

3. Hoytman

Hoytman

You do the same if you happen to beat me to it.:handshake:

Rich L likes this.