In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I'm the homeowner so I don't need an estimate

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by LordOfTheFlies, Apr 20, 2022.

1. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Yeah it was a weird "L" shaped limb and it swung down with tremendous force and knocked his face clean off. I think I read he needed massive surgery and survived but.....

2. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Local guy here was cutting trees in his pasture and pushing them over with tractor/loader. Must not of been cutting much cause one came back on him. Was gruesome I was told.
    Seems that’s how I’ve been getting more wood these days is someone will ask how they should cut a tree, or worse yet, say they heard I have a big saw and wondered if they could borrow. Even the farmers haven’t ran nothing like a ported 460 so I end up helping them out and get the wood if wanted. Won’t do that if there a chance of hitting a structure, but been paid several times too.

3. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Yeah man downing trees when not properly trained......is not for me. I have zero interest in doing it because I have zero experience and I have no desire to experience it if something goes wrong.

I buck trees when they are down and delimbed and I'm happy to help someone and take the wood for free.....but other than that no thank you.

amateur cutter and savemoney like this.
  4. savemoney

savemoney

I don't know how much common sense plays into cutting a tree. Picking a up a chain saw and going to cut a tree without experience or training is a lethal thing to do, yet so many of us have done just that. Lord was looking out for me. No one to teach me, no YouTube to watch etc. I could cut wood up, but taking down a standing tree is all together another matter. Last time I needed tree work done I hired it out. Yes, I could earn money but no, I didn't have any business trying to cut down trees on my own. Stick to what I have learned and leave the other stuff to the professionals. It just isn't worth the risk.

5. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Well said.

I do what I can to save some $$$ - fixing my cars, doing the maintenance, bucking firewood, 2nd year of gardening - but I know my limits and I ain't playing this game unedumacated. I also need some pointing done on my chimney - the cap is also cracked - but I ain't getting on the 12/12 (45 degree) pitch roof. No sirree Bob.....got an estimate today from a chimney company that completely rebuilt a neighbor's chimney down the street. Saw their truck, stopped, and asked them to come by after to have a look see.

6. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

My cousin was killed by a tree about 20 years ago. Early 50’s at the time. Been cutting wood all his life. Him and his brother sold firewood for a living from standing tree on there massive woodyard. Tractor was under a half fallen tree that got hung up in the canopy. Thought he had time to move it. Started the tractor and the tree finished falling. Crushed the steel roof like an aluminum cab. Killed instantly. Really sad. His brother was about a hundred yards away screaming, but he couldn’t hear him.

LordOfTheFlies likes this.
  7. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Sorry for your loss. That sounds horrific. Another reminder this is not a joke. I tell anyone who will listen - safety first, then fun. A new tractor can be purchased....but you can't buy back 30 years of your life. Be safe everyone.

Softwood likes this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

What are they going to do and if you dont mind my asking how much? You can PM me.

9. Horkn

Horkn

Oh boy. Most of these clips were just episodes of "what not to do"

10. savemoney

savemoney

That is just being smart. Live to fight another day. For me, now 75 yrs old and grossly overweight, plus bad knees and poor balance, there isn't a whole lot that I can still do. So it either losses out on being a priority or I hire it done. I have some family that helps from time to time but I am very conservative about asking.

11. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

They need to remove the crown and redo it as well as repoint 7 courses of brick. There might be one cracked brick I'm not 100% but I have not received the quote yet.

What's your estimate? Given that it's a 12/12 pitch they will have to put up scaffolding but I expect the job to be done within a day for sure.

savemoney likes this.
  12. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

You do what you can and as the years go by and the pounds add up, the amount you can do easily drops for sure. 75 years young! Asking for help is hard - I have a hard time doing it too. I try to help people as much as I can. Today my kids saw some free furniture and asked if I could grab the desk. So I went over there and saw my neighbor checking out a different piece.....and I asked her if she needed help bringing it over (they have a Subaru Crosstrek and it was a long, low dresser). Perfect timing, loaded both items on the Tacoma and drove around the corner and moved it into her basement and went on my way.

jtstromsburg, savemoney and Erik B like this.
  13. savemoney

savemoney

Always good when you can do something useful like that. When I was able to drive my truck, I use to go plowing driveways and never charged. Family and friends. When my legs got bad. No more truck, but they family came here to remove my snow. I have a son who lives upstairs here who now does the yard work.

LordOfTheFlies and Redneckchevy like this.
  14. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

That's some nice positive karma coming back at you. Nice to hear those kinds of stories.

savemoney likes this.
  15. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Ouch! :bug:…. That made me wezzie…. Now the one with the rope that broke … his wife’s reaction…. I bet he was in the dog house for a while…:picard:

savemoney likes this.