In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any sled necks on here ? Track pick ?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Cold Trigger Finger, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Horkn

Horkn

Those tend to rip out and ruin tracks.

Rope likes this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

This is key. Break trail and get it packed down the day before. Or earlier. Trying to break trail and tow a load of wood won't work very well.

3. Rope

Rope

These are mostly used here because we don’t have the ice/overflow and have powder. And our snow is not deep, we need them as much for when you get to ground than on the snow.

I only have long tracks so I don’t put screws or studs in them. With a trail in I haven’t had issues, I also make sure I am already point the direction I need to go home before I start loading the sleigh.

4. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Ya ! Those should help a bunch !
    I've done a lot of loggin with a snogo and sled. More than anyone I know or know of.
    But it was all with smaller sleds and snogo's.
    Now that I have the Eskimo P. Logger, I want to wood er down hard. Fill the tub with short wood , go up a foot with 12' then continue up to the top with 16' wood.
    Having All this horsepower will really give it some Snort ! IF I can keep from burying it's track. I always broke in my trails at least the afternoon before I was going to log on it.
    2 passes with no sled on . Then 2 passes with the empty sled . Helped to fine tune the corners and bends where a guy would get stuck. Having a ridgid hitch will be different. I've always used a rope bridal. My first snogo was fairly useless in deep powder/ unbroken snow. I would have to snowshoe in to break my new trails out. It was a 340 Enticer with geared reverse. Oddly enough . It had real good Grunt for pulling a sled. My normal load was 1/3 rd cord. But pulled dozens of 1/2 cord sled loads with it.
    My biggest sled load so far was a full 3/4 cord . I pulled that with my 440 Panther.
    Gotta have your ____ together to get a load that big to the truck , not get stuck, keep the runners on the bottom. And not bash into any leave trees. I need to put a couple skegs under the E.P.L. to keep it tracking straight behind me . It likes to Swing WIDE . But I've had it up to 45 mph so far and I couldn't even feel it back there. Course that was empty. But it weighs about 300 lbs.

Yes I need a big skidoo SUV or a great big BearCat. But for that money, I could just about go to Canada and find an old TimberJack 230 D or similar and could easily get a D3 size Dresser Dozer that already has a winch and a high arch on it.
    Besides, then I wouldn't be snogo loggin .

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    Horkn likes this.
  5. mat60

mat60

I have had many sleds and this is good advice. I used to go 1/4-inch taller stud than the lugs myself

Horkn and Cold Trigger Finger like this.
  6. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I've got them queued up. Thank you !
    These are what I was looking for by and large.

Horkn likes this.