In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Freezer and electrical question

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Sirchopsalot, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

So a few years ago, we were contemplating converting a chest freezer into a chest fridge. The thermostat could be tweaked (slightly surgical) or we could get a beer cooler thermostat, and it would shut the freezer down before it gets too cold....thus, chest fridge.
    I read though, that constant on/off wasnt so good for the freezer circutry/compressor/whatever.
    Rabbit trail: I'd love to find a cooling unit, and custom build a fridge, for far better space use, electrical efficiency, convenience.
    Back to the freezer:
    Is running a freezer as a fridge really not a good idea for the longevity of the unit?
    Im looking for a timer to shut the chest freezer down every other day. It stays cold for several days without electricity. Would the on/off action e/o day be similarly harmful to the unit?
    Im looking to run the freezer every other day, to save electric.

We are being absolutely sodomized by our electric company. We've already changed the dehumidifier settings so it runs less (65% vs 45%) and moved the fridge into the pantry and out of the kitchen where the wood stove is.

Sca

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

What kind of water heater you have?
    Electric?

3. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Electric.
    Thinking of insulating it, basement is 45° in the winter. That would void the warrantee if there was one.
    Sca

4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Heating domestic hot water /water heaters are one of the most energy using appliances in a home. Dehumidifiers are wasteful appliances also. If i were you, I'd get a heat pump water heater and get rid of the Dehumidifier. Kills 2 birds with one stone.
    I think you'd get way more energy savings out of a hpwh than you could ever get from running a deep freeze every other day. At some point the freezer will run to get to set temp...or your food will thaw...

5. lukem

lukem

I don't see how this saves you anything. With a fridge or chest freezer you are converting electrons into a box with cold stuff. HPWH is best idea to save electricity.

6. billb3

billb3

I'm looking into RV solar/ solar generator(s) to run a fridge and freezer. Some are now on par or less than a whole house propane generator.
    Payback is like ten years for the solar but they keep running through a power outage so when you compare them to propane backup generators they are a bargain that you get to use every day.
    Rates here in Eastern Mass are going up 46% january 1, 2022. It looks like they got a generation increase and a delivery rate increase from regulators.

Moving a cooling appliance away from a wood stove was a good move for sure. Maybe not so convenient but that's OK.

Sirchopsalot and metalcuttr like this.
  7. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I think the only benefit of a chest fridge is the orientation/location of the door… on top of the unit, preventing cold air from flowing out and sinking to the floor of the house.

8. billb3

billb3

If your freezer is actually staying cold for several days then there's no need to shut it off. It's not running.
    What you gain allowing the contents to warm up slightly by shutting it off is going to be lost cooling the contents back off again.

Usually, to change a freezer into a fridge all you need is a fridge thermostat, but you'll still have freezer condenser coils and condensation controls for a freezer (if it had any). How efficient will it be ?
    It might be more cost effective to buy a new fridge if your old freezer is really old. You can look up the model number online to find how much of an energy hog it is or isn't and then decide what ROI is on replacement cost.

My kitchen fridge is about 20 years old and by-the-book uses 685 kwh of energy a year to run. A new more efficient exact size replacement would use 404 kwh/year but costs about $700.00.I would "save 281 kwh/year which at $0.29/kwh is $81.49/year. That's around 8.5 years to pay for a new fridge with energy savings. Hardly worth it for a fridge that's working fine. However if our rates actually go up to $0.45/kwh that $81 becomes $126 /year. Who knows what the Summer rates will be next year or the Winter rates the year after.
    One of the (standalone) solar generator systems I'm looking at is about $3,000.00 and could run my fridge, chest freezer and maybe both window air conditioners. Which could be funded from the $700 fridge I'm not buying (at least right away) plus my non-existent back-up generator budget. Plus the money I won't be paying to Eversource to run my appliances, which are the largest part of my monthly bill. Which is currently about $266 a year and will be $414 next year. (fridge and freezer, I think my total electric cost for last year was $420, I'd have add up all my bills again, normally about 30-35 a month) 7 year payback - not figuring in the air conditioner costs, which vary depending on the weather. I end up with a shorter ROI buying a solar generator than I do buying a more energy efficient fridge. Plus I have a 2 or 3 day back-up power system for my appliances should we have a power outage and 2 or 3 days of no sun.
    Obviously I don't have huge electric bills/usage, but electric prices are going up, especially for those of us who have electricity generated from natural gas and "renewables".

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Sirchopsalot call Electric company and see if they or your state offer rebates to switch to a heat pump hot water heater

10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Why would anyone need to heat hot water?
    LoL

11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

So it stays hot…. Otherwise you get tepid water :p

12. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:whistle:
    :picard:
    :handshake:
    :rofl: :lol:

13. billb3

billb3

This ^^^^^
    A hot water heater re-heats hot water and maintains a set water temp.
    It may be a superfluous description but it helps to differentiate between a hot water tank and a hot water heater which can literally be different things.

metalcuttr, brenndatomu and Eric VW like this.
  14. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I just like giving Canadian border VT some chit…

15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

And I like earning it:cool::handshake:

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Why, to make steam of course! :p

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Another great answer!!

I got to meet ya and Eric VW at a GTG :handshake:

18. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

As long as when we do, you don’t try to tell me heat rises…
    :doh:

:whistle:

:rofl: :lol:

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I live in a 5 story house ask Dennis or well seasoned! If It doesn’t than why is it always hotter on top :p

care to explain hot air balloon to this stuuupid red neck

20. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Density. It’s all about density. Heat radiates in an omnidirectional fashion.
    Heated air is what rises. Oh, and heated water, too…