In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood chips in the OWB ?

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by J bird, Aug 28, 2021.

1. J bird

J bird

I have the opportunity to get wood chips from a couple of local tree guys. I was wondering if anybody has ever tried wood chips in their OWB ? Idk how it may work but I may give it a try. Let me know what you think.

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I've read of guys trying this...guess it doesn't work too well...extremely hard to get any real volume of chips dry, and if they aren't dry they don't burn very well...more of a smolder.
    Even the dry ones don't do that well in a standard boiler...due to the pile not getting air too well I think...I know I've tried to burn dry sawdust in a regular stove and was surprised that it just kinda smolders too...I expected it too burn like gun powder (which it will if you throw a little bit on some screaming hot coals...but then a greater volume just suffocates it)

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

I think I'd pass on the wood chips also.

amateur cutter, mat60 and OhioStihl like this.
  4. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Good for mulch but that’s about it.

amateur cutter, mat60 and brenndatomu like this.
  5. chris

chris

If you can get them dry and then need to load on a grate to get more air flow. Overseas saw dust burner- they spray the saw dust in, in a controlled volume. Wood chips would likely work well in a Rocket stove application similar to the feed system on the Wise Way, or the one made in Ohio, controlled drop from a hopper.

amateur cutter and mat60 like this.
  6. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Wood chips need air from the bottom like coal, they need to be in a thin layer & fed at a steady pace. Don't go there with a regular boiler, it will be very disappointing.

campinspecter, J bird and brenndatomu like this.