In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New to me not wood hauler!

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Dakota Hoarder, Jun 21, 2021.

1. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Great looking truck! However, no truck is too nice for hauling firewood. I held off as long as I could with my '21 Ram 1500 for the same reason but only lasted two weeks before the bed was full of scrounged firewood.

OhioStihl, JimBear, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  2. B.Brown

B.Brown

Never too nice to haul wood in, 2002 i bought a brand new Toyota Tundra, 4x4 extra cab 4.7 motor. told my wife, ''this will be my last pickup''. I had it about 2 wks, hauled 5 loads of wood with it, that was just the start of it. I still have that pickup, its got a tad over 40, 000 miles on it, still looks great, i'd hate to guess how much wood i've hauled with that pickup. I try to take care of it, but, some of the loads of wood i've gotten were, heavy, its very dependable, i keep up on the oil changes, and pretty much maintain it myself. The paint is 95%, and i'm being conservative, it still rides, drives, and runs like a new pickup. You've got a dandy pickup, should last you for a long, long time, enjoy it.

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Wow, did you mean 400K? 40 for an 02 is crazy low.

Horkn, eatonpcat and Dakota Hoarder like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

Extended oil change intervals, the sound of the engine, and just simpler. It's downright fast too. The big Ecoboost might be quicker, but 385 hp and 387 tq of my year 5.0 is impressive. I have the same gear ratio as Chvymn99 has in his 3.5 Ecoboost. 3.31. I can get 22 mpg freeway not towing, even with the AC on. Prior to buying the truck I bought, I tested a 2017 3.5 Ecoboost, but that truck had the 10 spd and even more power. In 15 and 16, the 5.0 had more hp than the big Ecoboost. The 5.0 is flex fuel capable and it definitely adds some more power to it. You can't do that with the Ecoboost. Less to go wrong on the 5.0, because turbos are $$$$. Although you won't have an issue of you charge the oil when you're supposed to.;) 2016 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V-8 vs. F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

E85 makes more power in the 5.0?
    I had a 3.0 in a Taurus that was E85 capable and it certainly didn't add any power...fuel mileage was crap too, all for a $0.05/gallon discount...no thanks.

6. billb3

billb3

By octane rating metric it does. Plus fuel economy falters. I'd want to measure just what the on board computerized fuel metering/control does to actual crank/flywheel horsepower.

Horkn and eatonpcat like this.
  7. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Nice work in the Tundra. I’m just hoping for a good 10 years out of my Ford. You must not be in rust country! That’s the only reason I traded my 2011 Chevy, fenders were starting to show rust bubbles. One more winter and they be pretty much gone. Only had 88,000 miles and no major problems. Rust sucks!

8. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Good article, I think I read ever 3.5 vs 5.0 article out there except that one. I was surprised to see they had the 5.0 at better base milage.

Horkn likes this.
  9. B.Brown

B.Brown

No, 40,000 miles , probably the best pickup I’ve ever owned

Dakota Hoarder likes this.
  10. B.Brown

B.Brown

Your right we live in the PNW, but, they do use some products that do cause some low grade rust. I keep it clean under the body and frame. Yes it’s a shame some states use salt, it’s not only bad on vehicles, but run off to creeks and rivers is bad also.

11. B.Brown

B.Brown

Keep it clean on the under body/frame, it will help.

Chvymn99, Dakota Hoarder and Horkn like this.
  12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Salts not as bad as calcium chloride spray that eats everything.. salt does not work below 0* ; cars idling melts and then refreezes making stopping at red lights on ice treacherous

MikeInMa, Dakota Hoarder and Horkn like this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

yes, e85 makes more power when run in flex fuel vehicles. mpg goes down a tad, but if you buy it at the right price, it is more cost effective to buy e85.

There was a great article by one of the car mags that showed the power increase and mpg decrease, I think on a flex fuel gm 5.3 silverado. That was agreat article, but I can't find it now.
    here's one article.
    Flex Fuel: Benefits and Disadvantages

eatonpcat and Dakota Hoarder like this.
  14. Horkn

Horkn

Those years of GM trucks were especially bad for rusting.

Dakota Hoarder likes this.
  15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

It was more than a tad...a solid 20% + loss for me...and with only a few stations carrying it around here, there was very little price difference...it was a lose lose deal...no more E85 for me. Corn is for cows, gas is for cars.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Softwood, eatonpcat, Warner and 2 others like this.
  16. Horkn

Horkn

At only a couple cents less, it doesn't make sense. But when the e85 gas costs 96¢ a gallon less than e10, like it is here, that's an easy choice. That's 31% less fuel cost for 16-17% less mpg, and moar powr.

JimBear and brenndatomu like this.
  17. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

What’s the best way you’ve found to keep the under body and frame clean? How often yo you clean it?
    Unfortunately My state doesn’t much about run off into anything!

brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  18. Horkn

Horkn

To be fair, if you live in the Pacific northwest, you almost don't need to do anything to keep a vehicle rust free. There's so many classic cars just sitting around, outside, forgotten, and they are in great shape.

Dakota Hoarder and brenndatomu like this.
  19. B.Brown

B.Brown

Power wash it, especially the fender wells, any place that will hold salty mud, or dirt with calcium chloride. It might take some time, but at the price of a new pickup or car it makes the cost of water pretty cheap. That’s a shame about the run off, it’ll catch up to the state some day, and it’ll be too late. I try too keep up on it especially during the winter, even when it rains, all the better, let Mother Nature help keep the dirt,mud and other junk soft, it’ll wash off quicker, better and faster.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Dakota Hoarder, brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  20. bogieb

bogieb

I'm late to the party but wanted to say Congrats on your new-to-you, great looking vehicle! That's some nice low miles for the year (or at least to me it is) and it's just getting broke in :thumbs:

mat60, Horkn, Dakota Hoarder and 2 others like this.