In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Done traveling for a while

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Backwoods Savage, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Home sweet home once again. I've been traveling for a while and was able to spend a little time with some good friends and even spent father's day with oldest son and his family. But it is good to be home again.

Four things really struck me again about going south and east:

1. Traffic is extremely heavy and I would not wish to deal with it on a regular basis. (Although on way home US-23 was heavy traffic all the way but fortunately that is a good distance from me.)

2. Most roads are way too narrow.

3. Although we had a few days with beautiful weather, I would never want to live there. It is just way too hot foe me.

4. Population is too thick and also it seems to always be noisy; no privacy either compared to home.

Dazza95, Jack Straw, Eric VW and 18 others like this.
  2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

A change of scenery is most always good.

It also allows you to realize either how well the home location is, or how bad it might be.

3. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

Heeyyy, I live in southeast Michigan.......

And I agree with what you wrote
    :D

4. fishingpol

fishingpol

5. Gets dark too early out east.

Welcome home.

5. Eckie

Eckie

6. Backwoods Savage

Wytheville, VA for south and Reading, PA east.

7. Backwoods Savage

Yeah, it can be amazing how different it is when I go east.

Chvymn99, Jack Straw, Eric VW and 5 others like this.
  8. Biddleman

Biddleman

Reading? Im not too far from there. If you were in PA, you got to experience the never ending road construction. And yet the roads still suck!

9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

So how's that ornery pup doin anyways?

11. Backwoods Savage

Next time I go perhaps we should get together. Son lives just outside of Sinking Springs.

12. Backwoods Savage

We had a good time.

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Glad you had a nice trip and that you're home safe Dennis :) I didn't realize you were gone and moderating on your vacation.

14. Backwoods Savage

Thank you. I'm ambidextrous. :D

15. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

O boy and those places are considered pretty rural to many folks. Try clanking through where I live or in Marlton and Cherry Hill area's your head would spin....literally.

16. Backwoods Savage

I never could understand when folks would claim rural when they lived right in town or a subdivision. To me, rural means out in the country and not in a city, town or village. I remember when I'd hear or even read in the paper about folks moving out of Chicago when they retire and "moved to the country." But they lived right in Escanaba! That is not country!

On the other hand I was seriously considering driving over your way until I saw how difficult it was and where I would have to drive. But, maybe some day... How far are you from Atlantic City? I've been there before. Even stayed at the Trump Plaza.

17. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I remember when I lived in S.Philly and moved to Turnersville in S.Jersey a good contractor friend of ours who lived in Gloucester City, NJ said "What, your moving to Turnerville!!! Your moving to the sticks". My area couldn't be more opposite of the sticks, but hec that was 20yrs ago, lots has changed, much development. From what I've heard my area was once country and nothing but farms so maybe that's what he was referring too, he is a bit older than me. Sadly only one farm remains and the family that runs it is part of our church. Years ago I worked with a sweet women and friend in Center City Philly (boy that commute really sucked) who lived in my old neighborhood in S.Philly. She ended up moving to S.Jersey not far from where I am now. In two years they moved back, absolutely hated it! Was to quiet they said, not enough going on, neighbors to far away. Mind you they lived in a typical cookie cutter postage size 0.25 lot development in suburbia. Trust me the neighbors are not far away. I guess it's all relative to where your from and where you grew up. They loved being on top of each other, going out on the step and talking to the neighbors, walking to the corner deli, etc.. She did admit she didn't miss not being able to park their car :whistle:

I was just at a board meeting arguing about a 2 story storage facility being developed on the other side of the woods that my house backs up to, clearing 11 acres. Mind you not 200 yards away is already another public storage facility :loco: :crazy:. Add to insult our Twp is riddled and I mean riddled with vacant buildings and empty lots that use to be car dealerships up and down our main drag on Rt 42. There are dozens and I mean dozens of strip malls with empty buildings that businesses simply cannot fill or have filled and fail over and over and over again. You'd think they'd want to fill those empty buildings or utilize those empty lots before clearing and developing what's left of the green space in Twp. Nope, they continue to develop every single corner lot into a medical bldg or strip plaza with another crappy food & pizza joint or nail salon. 20yrs ago this was a huge upgrade moving to S.Jersey we could park our car without driving around the block 8 times, had a lawn, more spacious home, an actual yard to BBQ in, etc... But times have changed and so have I, I suppose. Home is my sanctuary and I desire peace and quiet, I can always go to where the noise and action is I don't need to live in it.

I am not far from Atlantic City at all, under an hour, straight shot down A/C Expressway. If your ever out this way again I'd love to meet up someplace that's convenient for you my friend :handshake:

18. Backwoods Savage

I do hope to meet you sometime! Too bad you could not have made the trip out along with Dave. You would have enjoyed our humble spot in the woods. I would have even let you run the 261.

19. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Likewise Dennis, it will happen! I am sure I would have and I would have had loads of fun running the 261, thank you.