In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need more space?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Ohio dave, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I run a small side gig selling firewood. Only about $300/month in sales. I only have a little over 1/3 acre of property. Not really enough to store much. I now have a strong enough customer base that I'm either going to have to start turning people away or find another place to store and process. I don't want to go full time firewood business, but I do want to expand. I think I could go to $500-$800/month without much more effort but I need more space. Any suggestions on where to go next.

mat60, Chvymn99, Screwloose and 7 others like this.
  2. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Do you have any farms around you sometimes farmers would rent you a spot to process wood and wood processing is considered agriculture so you should not have any zoning issues JB

Elvisss222, Chud, mat60 and 9 others like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive thought of doing that as i drive by a big open farm a few minutes from home.

Chud, mat60, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Any friends/family/neighbors you could barter with for storage? I give my friend a cord of rounds annually for storage and also do favors for him. I have wood stored at a customers place and do the same with him.
    Another thought is go vertical? If your wood is uniform decent splits go taller with your stacks? I have a some dead black locust stacked 6' tall...triple tiered.
    I fell your pain Dave as its a constant issue with me. I have 4-5 nice scores to work/in the works and its the main problem.
    Let us know how you make out.

5. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

This answer. An acre will support 40-50 cord of logs & splits with room to maneuver equipment if laid out with some planning.

6. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

My friends/family are either in urban areas were neighbors complain and yards are small or too far away to make that doable.
    As for vertical...i'm already as high as my 5'6" stature will reach.

7. Screwloose

Screwloose

I suggest a farm also.
    And have someone put the word out on Facebook as ya never know who knows who.

8. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

From the interweb -

A standard cord is 4 x 4 x 8 = 128 cu. ft., so the traditional 10-foot high Holz Hausen contains about six cords of wood, enough for most German winters.
    download (1).jpeg